Chapter 5

Trigger Warning: Abuse & manipulation

Edric and the rest of the research team stood in the throne room. Titan, was he getting déjà vu. Except this time, they actually had something to present. With the feathers Hunter had gathered a few days ago along with a few other items, the potion coven had come up with something that they thought mimicked wild magic.

And now, all they had to do was present it.

"Jasper," the Emperor demanded, "I've been informed your little team has something useful to share."

"Yes, Emperor," Jasper replied. "The potion Coven has been hard at work all week and they believe they've made an antidote."

"Very well." Belos motioned for the Golden Guard- someone Edric had been seeing less and less of recently- to bring him the potion. Edric had offered to hold the potion just in case something like this were to happen. They obviously couldn't talk, but he was desperate for interaction of any kind.

Hunter had his mask on, but he was hoping Edric could tell how relieved he was to see the Blight. He nodded as he took the potion from Edric, who smiled.

"Wait," Belos's voice echoed as Hunter began to walk away. "Bring the green haired one with you."

He turned back to Edric who glanced nervously in his direction. Titan, this can't end well, he thought.

Nevertheless, Edric followed the Golden Guard to Belos's throne and kneeled alongside the blond. Hunter stood up and brought the potion to Belos.

"Emperor.. why-" he began to ask.

"Silence, Hunter," he hissed, "I can't rule out the possibility that the potion is poisoned."

Hunter nodded. "Would you like me to-"

He was cut off again. "No."

Belos addressed the research team this time. "If you believe that this potion is safe for your Emperor, then let the boy drink some first."

Edric looked.. uncomfortable. Hunter couldn't quite tell if that look signified that something in the potion wasn't entirely safe, or if the Emperor was that skilled at intimidation.

"I understand, Emperor Belos. However, we did discuss that the potion will have some unpleasant side effects. Especially on a younger witch," Jasper explained.

"He's an apprentice that's what he's for," Belos spoke about Edric like he wasn't a person, but instead some sort of animal kept around only for its usefulness.

"Very well." Jasper motioned for the Golden Guard to give Edric the potion.

Hunter did so, trying desperately to convey how sorry he was beneath his mask. He uttered a quick, "be careful," before handing the bottle to Edric.

Edric opened the reddish potion and took to tinniest drink of it he could before handing it back to Hunter. Almost immediately, he looked pale and sickly.

He walked back over to the group, managing to keep his gait fairly consistant.

The Emperor seemed assured that the potion wouldn't kill him, since the Blight was still able to stand. Though Hunter could see that he was heavily relying on Jasper to remain upright.

Belos took one last look at the potion before drinking it. His eyes glowed a bright red from beneath his mask, different than the green that showed after he consumed wild magic.

"Excellent," he breathed, "I believe this is a step in the correct direction, Jasper."

Jasper bowed. "Thank you, Emperor Belos."