Chapter 8

Trigger Warning/ General Angst Warning: Blood, manipulation, violence, panic attack & me just being generally depressed (it's getting intense guys)

We're here.

The words echoed through the group's ears as they approached the throne room doors.

"Hey," Edric nudged Hunter.

He looked over at the green haired boy, studying his facial expression. Edric looked... calm. Ready. More ready than Hunter ever thought he would be for this moment (but maybe that was just the blood-loss talking. At least the wound had stopped bleeding. Always a bright side with Hunter).

Edric gave the boy a subtle nod, simple. Encouraging. Exactly what Hunter needed from him.

He smiled at the Blight as they pushed open the throne room doors.

And...

Nothing.

The group's footsteps echoed through the room as they walked inside. Belos was nowhere to be seen.

Hunter led them through the back of the throne room and into another, smaller room. The room that housed Belos' precious portal to the human realm.

Hunter took one last deep breath and pushed the doors open. Hopefully for the last time.

"Ah, Hunter. I've been expecting a visit from you and your little... friends," Belos said facing the portal door. His voice was calm.

Hunter was about to speak. To explain what he knew. Explain and make Belos understand why he was going through with this insane plan, when a dozen plant-like vines shot from the Emperor's body.

"I'm afraid-" Belos breathed as the vines hovered over him "-that I'll have to make a new Golden Guard. This little incident is simply unforgivable. Though, I'm impressed you've made this this far."

All at once, the thick vines sped towards Edric, Amity, and Luz. The three were instantly caught in battle with the plants. Edric created a ring of illusions to distract the things while Amity and Luz tag-teamed, throwing abominations and glyphs at them left and right.

Though.., the plants seemed to be avoiding Hunter, He was standing in the center of the chaos, but the plants ebbed away from him as if a bubble surrounded him and Belos.

"Uncle, I-"

Hunter was cut off as the Emperor walked towards the boy.

"I'm disappointed in you, Hunter. The Titan had plans for you, but I suppose I'll have to make someone worthier now."

The blond recoiled at Belos' words. He expected this. The whole point was to face Belos and destroy the door. He knew this conversation was inevitable.

So why did his words hurt so fucking much?

The Emperor's eyes narrowed at Hunter's silence.

"Tell me, Hunter, why are you here? What do your friends hope to gain from this frivolous attack?"

Hunter's brow furrowed as he clutched his fists at his sides. He could hear his friends communicating around him, trying to fight their way through Belos' effortless attacks.

"We're taking the portal door from you," he stated, running his friends' previous words through his head over and over in his head for encouragement. "Luz needs it more than you. And I don't want to help you hurt people anymore."

Belos smiled at the boy. "Very well. If you care for their insane  ideas so much, then you may as well join them in their demise."

Another vine shot from above Belos. It sped forward, hitting Hunter in the stomach and dragging him into the fighting.