two

the deed
"i will do what i want, thanks"

_____

"so there's only two?" althea questioned, her arms crossed over her chest in a closed-off manner. an eyebrow was raised as she scanned the room, locking eyes with those she hasn't spoken to yet. "what am i here for then?"

of course, she knew why she was there, but she worded the question differently so the others wouldn't feel as selfish. sure, the girl could fight, but it wasn't anything special in their world, and they should know others more experienced than her.

"tracking," was the simple answer provided to her. it came from the boyfriend of them human, their relationship continued to appear peculiar to althea. "james, alice mentioned him before, he has extreme tracking skills, and we need you to mimic them."

impersonation of others' abilities, that was her power. any vampire within a close enough radius of her could have their power imitated and used against them, or surrounding enemies. they didn't have to be right in front of her to work, and the better she knew them, the further they could push it.

say, for example, alice, she can read the future, but only at certain points. she can identify the small woman to an extent, meaning she won't have to be too close, but the connection would have to be prolonged for any visions. this can easily drain althea, forcing her to eat more often and keep a stable mind - abilities like hers aren't the most efficient for the older one.

edward, on the other hand, has a consistent ability that can be used at any time - mind reading. the girl most certainly will avoid him during her stay at the cullens, feeling it's an invasion of privacy. that's beside the point. althea would be able to use it at her own will, whenever she wanted with the golden-haired boy around, without him knowing. that was another perk, the victim was always clueless.

although, in this case, her presence seems rather useless. particularly during the current stages, she doesn't even know who this man is. how was she supposed to mimic his ability and track him, when he'll be close enough for a normal vampire to sense?

this is exactly why she soon regretted coming here. first it was to help a human against two vampires within unfair numbers anyways, then they can't even grasp the concept of her own power.

"i don't see how i could help with that," she queried, a surprisingly kind tone coming from her. althea wasn't known to be the nicest person on the planet, she's always lost her patience rather quickly. after centuries of pointless living, you soon come to a realisation that not everyone has great motives, and there is no point being welcoming to everyone you meet.

a small pause was initiated, and no one responded to her statement quickly. perhaps they didn't think she would question their plan, or perhaps it wasn't the initial plan in the first place. mind-reading wouldn't sound too bad at the moment, if her desire for blood wasn't growing stronger by the second.

there was also a human within metres of her.

"i was told your miming skills were the best around." speaking of bella, she decided to open her mouth for the first time in this encounter, and it wasn't the best wording either, "you track james, then we can deal with him."

a few side glances we're given to the brown-eyed girl, some more warning than others. plus, who was 'we'? it sure isn't her doing any of the work, or else, seeing a human rip off a vampire's head would be a sight to see.

"what she's saying is they're smart," alice butted in before bella could continue, "well, not james, the woman, victoria. they're working together, mates presumably too. she can sense danger nearby, and they know what places to avoid."