Chapter Sixty Nine

Emily sat on the cold wet floor. Her arms behind her as her hands grasped into the dirt for support. She could feel the coarseness of the grit and stones underneath her palms as she sat there and looked ahead at the empty space where the portal had vanished. Her throat was tightening up as a pain ripped through her chest and attacked her heart. She sat and waited.

Silence.

No, not silence. She could hear the muffled sound of music behind her and the blurred sound of laughter and shouts. They were having a party on the farm, a night off whilst they had been in town. It was supposed to be a quick meeting with John to find out some details and then they were going to be heading home to join in with the celebrations. Alex had said he had plans for them when they got back.

No, it wasn't silence.

Emptiness.

That's what it was. She felt emptiness. Her stomach felt like it was gaping open and the cold night air was passing through it. Her head was at a loss for thoughts. It felt like she was in a dream or watching a TV show, only she couldn't change the channel or wake up.

There was a vacant feeling in her heart. Something was missing and it kept skipping a beat every time she tried to think about what it could be.

She knew what it was.

It was the reality that she had witnessed only seconds ago, but her mind would not let her visualise it; a door had been slammed shut and locked. As much as she tried to pull on the handle and slam her fists against the wood, it remained closed, making her body ache for the knowledge and truth of what had just happened.

Yes. Emptiness was what she was feeling and she wasn't sure if it would ever pass.

Somehow, something inside of her ordered her to get up. She rose slowly to her feet and her body ached, most likely from being thrown through the portal by Tom.

Tom. He was still in the town along with the others. She needed to get back there, to help them. To go back for Alex.

Dear God. Alex.

Her heart skipped once more with a dull ache and she clenched at her chest. She felt sick.

Suddenly, in battle brain mode, she turned and started walking to the lights and happiness that was in front of the house. Her steps turned to running as she got closer.

When she was in the thick of the party, several of the fighters welcomed her with pats on the back, unaware of what had, and was, taking place. She searched the crowd for someone. Who? Who should she turn to? Sam, Tom and Hunter were all in the town.

Henderson. She saw him going up the steps and into the house. Lexie must be here. Perfect. Emily bee-lined it to the steps of the house.

"Hey Emily" she swiftly turned to see Nate coming through the make shift dance floor. Some of the boys had formed a circle and were taking it in turns to dance in the middle. God, she needed to get them focused but she needed someone to help her do just that.

"Nate" she called back as he came closer.

Jen was hot on his tail and he turned and put his arm around her shoulders. Jen pulled herself in close to him as he smiled down at her and she looked over to Emily who was still in shock. "You okay Emi?" Jen frowned with concern and she went to go towards Emily but Nate held her back close to him.

Emily glanced to the door and then back to the couple."No." Taking a step forward she announced to the two of them. "Sirus turned up."

"What?" gasped a panicked Jen. Nate held her tighter around the shoulders and looked on at Emily.