Prologue

Prologue:

The music vibrated throughout the house from the large stereo in the living room. Some singer was crying about some girl he lost and now he can't seem to get rid of her in his thoughts. There were people grinding against each other in such a way that a nun might die on the spot. There were empty alcohol bottles all over the place. I looked around the room and saw Aaron, the party host, drinking what I presumed to be alcohol from a cup and laughing with some people I recognized from school.

"Aaron?" I asked, walking up to him.

"Dude, who let the nerd in here?" drunk guy number one laughed.

"Honestly Aaron, I thought your parties were supposed to be cool?" drunk number two agreed.

I frowned and put my hands on my hips, ready to defend myself, "Aaron, why'd you let these junkies in?"

Aaron glared at me, grabbed my hand and led away from the two guys, pulling me into the empty kitchen. "What are you doing here, Alexandra?" he asked.

"What are you talking about? You invited me here." I told him confused.

"I did?" He looked utterly confused then a look of sudden recollection came across his face, "Oh yeah. Whatdaya want? Why aren't you mingling?"

"I'm looking for Keith, where is he?" I asked.

"Well I don't know. I was with him the first fifteen minutes, then he disappeared." he told me. He pulled against his shirt collar and he seemed to have trouble keeping eye contact with me.

I pushed up my glasses and shrugged off his sudden behavior, "Oh. I guess I should look for him then."

Aaron's eyes widened and he looked conflicted, "Alex, forget about Keith for a night. You're at a party--act like it. Mingle, make friends, drink a little."

"Thanks for the advice," I smiled, walking away. I had to find Keith. Keith was my boyfriend--my first boyfriend in fact. He was basically every girl's dream and he noticed me of all people, and I'll admit I'm not any boy's first pick. Now, three months later we're still going strong. He was the whole reason I even showed up at this party, I wasn't just about to have fun and forget about him.

"Hey babe," a tall, drunk boy slurred. Geesh, how many drunkards were at this party?

"Um, hey. Can you help me?" I asked.

"With what?" he giggled like a little schoolgirl, the smell of alcohol creeping up my nose. I cringed.

"Where's Keith Waters?" I asked, speaking slowly.

"Keith? He's scoring with a hot babe. He's in the house as we speak," he slurred.

My mouth fell open. This guy couldn't be serious, I mean he was drunk. He probably didn't even see my Keith, probably some other Keith at this party. But of course it didn't hurt to check, right? "Right, thanks for the info," I managed. I ran inside the house and up the stairs.

I kept silent, there was something pulling me against my will to start calling his name. My heart stopped when I heard noises coming from the closed door across me. I opened the door slowly and right there in the closet, was Keith, thrusting himself into another girl.

"Keith?" I whispered, my throat closing up.

He looked up at me, uninterested, and sighed. "Do you mind? I'm trying to finish something." He didn't even care I'd caught him.

"Keith, what are you doing?!" I shrieked, my eyes watering.

"Babe, don't even start with the water works. You didn't really think I'd be interested in you, did you?" he laughed.

"Well... yes. I--you asked me out!" I sputtered.

"Well yeah, I kinda had to pass a class and you were kinda stuck up. I figured if I romanced you up a bit, you'd start loosening up. Now can you please close the door?" he motioned to the doorknob.

"You're a  piece of shit, you know that?!" I shouted while finding the courage to knee him in the balls.  I looked at the girl, who just bent down to help Keith, and sneered, "Good luck with that continuation." I walked out the house with what was left of my dignity.