28 - Rescue

How would I get to a phone without driving the D8 down the main street of Waldport? As I studied the problem, the Eckman Quarry parking lot appeared on the left.

I was thinking about abandoning the cat at Eckman Lake and running into Waldport when I saw a motorcycle coming toward me. Then another. And a third. I slowed the D8 and turned into the parking lot so I could flag down whoever it was. They stopped too.

Now I counted half-a-dozen bikes. The first two were being ridden double. It was Victor and Melody in front. As they pulled near me, I screamed Melody's name and waved my arms.

Billy hung onto the second biker. Melody raised her eyebrows as she recognized me in the cage of the great yellow bulldozer. Her face broke into a massive grin.

Then the whole group of motorcycles rounded on the cat. For the first time, I noticed the bikers. They were Victor's buddies. I couldn't understand what they were doing on the road to Eckman Quarry. Then Billy hopped off his ride and ran to me.

I shut down the engine that had saved my life.

I climbed down and swung him into my embrace. "Where'd you come from?"

"Melody got scared waiting so long at the aquarium. Even after Victor arrived, she didn't want to wreck things by calling Temple so we all decided to check up on you ourselves," he said. Then he pushed away from me and stared.

I saw Melody's smile disappear as she approached. Victor and his crew were staring with open mouths. What was wrong? I whirled around thinking Bo was behind me. There was nothing there but the big muddy cat.

"Sally," Melody's voice insisted, her hand turning me back toward her. "What happened to you?"

I looked down at myself. My jeans and tennis shoes were covered in mud. My white blouse was torn and spattered with blood. I started to tell Melody I was fine, but the tears of relief that flooded through me made me choke.

I just hugged her and buried my head in her shoulder. I sobbed, and she hugged me back until the fit ran its course.

When I finally stepped away from Melody, Victor clapped me gently on the back. "What gives?" he asked, propelling me to his bike and sitting me down.

Reality thudded through me again. I turned to Melody, "Curt's dead."

"Dead?"

I blurted a short version of what had happened, trembling and sobbing as I relived it. I left out all the business in the trailer, but it was hard enough telling them about Curt getting shot and my escape in the cat.

"Why didn't he just shoot you?" Victor asked.

"He ran out of ammo, but he's still up there somewhere."

"Willie and Knuckles can go get him," Victor suggested.

"No," I shouted, as he gestured to two of the biggest bikers. "I wrecked his motorcycle with the cat but he might have more bullets in his saddle bags. I can't be sure he's unarmed, and I know he'll kill anyone who comes after him. It's time for the police. Just get me to them."

Victor's friends looked at me like I was spoiling the party. Physically they were every bit as big as Bo, but I had faced Bo's murderous anger, and I wouldn't put anyone else in its path.

Victor saw my expression and waved them away. Turning to me, he said, "Hop on behind Les," indicating a slim guy on a big Harley. Les wore a black leather jacket minus the sleeves, showing off a tattooed skull-and-crossbones on his shoulder and daggers on his forearms.

Les handed me his helmet, and I put it on. I hadn't the energy to protest. His long black hair fell to his shoulders. He smiled, and I climbed on his bike behind him.