Chapter 29

River's POV
I go outside and take a deep breath. I dial Corbin's number and he answers right away. "Hi." I whisper.
"River, what happened to you?" He gasps getting closer to his screen. "Are you okay?"
I burst into tears, "No." I sob
"What's going on?"
"You're gonna hate me. Everyone hates me." I cry.
"River, what is happening?"
"Maddie tried to kill herself. I cut her down. But I was drunk, so when I called demi—"
"You're calling your mom Demi?"
"I'll tell you why..."
"You were drunk!"
"Okay, I have to tell you everything so please don't interrupt. Because you're gonna hate me to. So I need you to hate me at the end."
"I'm not going to hate you."
"You are." I take a deep breath, "I cut Maddie down, and I called Demi and she dragged everyone home. So they kept me in the hospital and I freaked out but I was drunk, so I was like screaming at everyone. Then I got to go home and I was hungover, but I had to go to school. Demi was watching me like a hawk. And then, She says, 'I can't believe you would let this happen.' And I was like bitch what the fuck! And so I went off. For real how dare she blame me for Maddie and meadow being bullied."
"Wait meadow's being bullied?"
"Yes. So I was longboarding to school and Julia saw me and I realized that I couldn't do it. So, I got out of her car. Wait, did I tell you I got a letter from my cousin in prison?"
"Your cousins in prison?"
"Yes, because I couldn't keep my mouth shut. Anyway he said in his letter that he has people watching me. And I'm scared so I drank to I wouldn't be scared. But I got out of Julia's car and I just needed quiet and a drink so I went to my treehouse. The one my real parents built me. You've been there. Anyways it was on fire, so I went in to get the —"
"Stop! River." Im panting, "you went in the burning house! Are you crazy?"
"Yes, I had to get the few things I had left from my parents. So I got my stuff and then I passed out. I woke up in the hospital. Demi and dad where there pissed and asking all these questions. And I didn't want to talk to Demi because she was acting like I was crazy—"
"You are crazy! You went into a burning house."
"What! Don't say that... I'm not crazy. I'm —"
"What?"
"I don't know. So I exposed her to dad for what he said. And he freaked out and it was scary because he was so mad. Demi said I was grounded no homecoming, no cross country, no dance. Nothing. I was panicking and I wanted to go home so I told them about the letter hoping to distract them. And I texted Dallas and she was supposed to cause chaos so I go get my box."
"Pause! Your box? Why is the box important?"
"I need it to survive, but it had the letter. Demi and dad needed the letter but nothing else from that box. So, we get home and max found my box. So I threw a tantrum and went to my room and then dad came to take off the doors. So I was crying when Dallas showed up. Demi let her and she tried to make me explain my box to her. So, my defensive instincts kicked in and I went dark side. And I pushed Meadow and I was crazy and I started saying crazy stuff. I tried to expose Demi, I told about things that I found. Then Demi went dark side and was squeezing my arms and then she called me River girl... and I blacked out and Max had me pinned against the wall. I threatened her with a razor. I don't even know what I did. And now I'm really grounded and crazy. And then Meadow is binging and I tried to explain to them what I saw and everyone thinks I'm crazy. I'm losing everything, I'm losing my mind, my family, and you. I can't stay here not with a baby."
"A baby?"
"Demi's pregnant. I pulled a razor on my pregnant mother."
"Babe, this is nuts. This is insane. You need to breathe." I'm freaking out and bawling because I know he hates me, "you need to focus on you..."
"No." I sob
"I'm sorry, I love you. I really do, but everything you just said really freaks me out. I can't be apart of secret boxes, drinking, burning building, people watching you, I can't do that."
"Corrbin, please shut up. Please don't say anything else."
"You have to take time for yourself. You need to heal. I'll be here when you're ready."
"Please stop talking please."
"River, I promise I'll be there when you are better. I also believe that distancing myself from you for a little will motivate you to change."
"No. You're killing me." I can feel my heart breaking.
"Im not breaking up with you." He cries, "I'm scared. That if we keep holding on to each other and you're doing all this that I will lose you."
"I'm losing everything I have lived for and your just leaving me alone! I'm fucking dying here and you were my only thing to hold on to."
"Damn it River!" He shouts sobbing " I love you! You're freaking me out. I can't be a reason for you to want to live. That's not fair or healthy. I made a promise to you and I want you to hold up your end. I'm going to be here for you at a distance. We need time."
I hiccup, "how much time?"
"Call me in two weeks."
"That's too long, 3 days."
"I won't answer your calls or texts for 2 weeks. I love you. Work on yourself. I mean it. When you question if this is right, or if you should fight look at that ring. I'll be waiting for you. You're strong and beautiful and you have a family that loves you. Let them. I'll talk to you in two weeks. I love you." With that he hangs up.
I can't believe this. I feel like I'm going to pass out. I lay flat on my back. I cry until I run out of tears and now I feel absolutely nothing. I'm alone, truly alone with nothing no one. I watch the clouds slide by as I feel everything in my body go numb. Then the back door opens, "River, we need your help, please." Dad says desperately.