Winter's First Gift

"How long are you going to stay in this place, Young Deity?" Thanatos asked Winter who was currently gathering snow in a bowl. "Because of you, my work is increasing every single day."

Winter raised his head as he glanced at Thanatos.

"You can't take him yet," Winter warned Thanatos.

"What are you talking about, young Deity?" Thanatos asked as if playing innocent. "I am only here to warn you about the trouble that you caused to this town, you can't continuously stay here."

Winter clenched his fist as he stood up. The young Deity suddenly pointed his finger at Death itself.

"Do you think I didn't notice it?" Winter asked as if accusing Thanatos. "You are here to collect Mr. Nicklaus's soul! but you can't take him yet!"

"Oh?" The Death reacted in amusement. "The young Deity has become sharper now," he mumbled.

"Don't joke with me..." Winter frowned. "I'm not joking with you."

Thanatos took a deep sigh.

"Do not worry that much, it wasn't his time yet," Thanatos replied to the child. His paled hands patted the boy's head. "But his time is nearing, soon, you have to bid your goodbye to him."

"Thanatos!"

"I am merely doing my job, Young Deity. I cannot prolong one's life because you wanted to," Death mumbled in a hollowed voice. "Death is equal to everyone, if it's their time, it is their time, I am merely doing my job... And I hope you'll do your job properly too"

The young Deity lowered his gaze to the ground.

"But I don't want to leave him yet..." Winter sadly mumbled. "I can't leave him yet... He is my friend..."

Thanatos sighed, he patted Winter's head with a smile.

"You are indeed a growing child. You're still a child..." Thanatos mumbled as he calmly patted his head. "Then take care of your precious friend, care for him until his time ends."

Winter's lips quivered with tears forming in his eyes. He glanced at Thanatos with too many questions in his troubled eyes.

"Why do Humans die?" Winter asked.

Thanatos became silent. He suddenly remembered the day when he first met the young deity. Winter was sitting beside a dead child, claiming that she was his friend. It was also the first time when Winter questioned him about death.

Thanatos sighed. "Because Humans are fragile, they are not like us who could live for eternity" Thanatos stared at the sky. "But they have a soul, they can be reborn, they can live again, so you don't need to be sad, child"

Winter clenched his little fist, he could understand it, but he still felt upset.

Thanatos smiled as he started to disappear from the air. "Let's meet again next time, Young Deity... Let's meet again..."

Winter watched Thanatos as he disappeared from his sight, he glanced at the bowl of snow on the ground, he quietly took it, and returned to Old Nicklaus' house with a heavy foot.

The old man who was quietly drinking tea noticed the sullen appearance of the child. Nicklaus observed the child carefully as he placed his cup on his table.

"What's wrong, child?" The old man asked Winter.

Winter glanced at the old man. He remained silent for a moment as he placed the bowl of snow on the table. Winter quietly climbed on a chair and sat in front of the old man.