2: The Day We Met

It was the first day in this new town that I'd despised and only a couple months after my fifteenth birthday. School would start soon and I was beyond anxious to wear the ugly plaid skirts that came as part of a horribly unflattering uniform.

I hadn't wanted to move. Of course, who wants to uproot their entire life and leave all their friends behind simply because their parents wanted to leave town? Not I.

But here I was in a new town surrounded by nobody I knew and neighbors who were always high. I grumbled as my mom came into my room and started digging through my closet.

"Hurry up, we're going to the church tonight and you need to dress nicely." She said, pulling out random clothing items and tossing them at me.

I hadn't wanted to move and I certainly hadn't wanted to meet new people and I absolutely did not want to go to a new church. My previous church was heavenly and so fun and nothing could replace it.

I stood up and did as I was told. Honestly, that was just part of being the eldest child. I brushed my teeth and wore a random shirt and pair of pants. I didn't really put much effort into my appearance, I didn't really care who saw me and if they liked me or not. In my mind, we would be moving back to our old town next year and everything would be okay and I'd get to see my friends again.

My mom sat in our old green Toyota, waiting for my sister to finish getting ready. She was the beauty queen of the family and always took her time getting ready for everything.

And just like that, we were off, driving to a new church and meeting new people only a few weeks before classes started. We attended the meeting and then my sister and I asked about the youth meeting.

The church, from my perspective at least, seemed super disorganized and clearly not as spiritual as my previous church. Nonetheless, I should've given it the benefit of the doubt.

"Here." One of the people leading us said. I would learn later that his man's car had the same name as me and he bought a new car a few years later. And obviously named it something else. Whether renaming it was because of me or not, I've always thought naming your car was strange.

I noticed they were much less welcoming here as well. It seemed that everyone knew everyone and didn't care to meet any new people. However, I suppose if I had dressed nicer or worn some makeup, I might have made a better first impression.

I entered the classroom and my sister entered a different one. I sat on the beige couch on a seat in the corner, keeping to myself and trying to control my anxiety.

"Okay, we have the competition in a few weeks so let's pair you up to start memorizing it. Derek, can go with the new girl and Adam can work with Yohan." The guy teaching the class was saying, I didn't know his name, but there were maybe eight or so other people in the class and Derek was definitely the most handsome.

My eyes completely widened when he moved from his seat across the room and sat beside me. I had never spoken or seen a boy this handsome in my life and I immediately felt my heart racing and pounding against my chest.

"Hey nice to meet you," he said, he seemed friendly enough too. Was this love? My heart wouldn't stop racing.

We began reciting the thing we were supposed to memorize and the words kept catching in my throat. I was so nervous and now, I was struggling to breathe.

"Um, I have to go." I said, halfway through our conversation. I stood up and left the room, re-entering the church and sitting beside my mother. I hadn't given it a second thought how he might view this, but from the years to come, I'd quickly learn that Derek was absolutely a gentleman.

My heart was racing and he was so handsome and his voice was so beautiful and he was too perfect. I was absolutely overthinking and overwhelmed by the amount of perfection I had seen. I took a deep breath in when I felt a tap on my shoulder.

I turned around in my seat to be face to face with Derek's mother. I didn't know who she was until she asked me if I was okay and I nodded, "yes." I'd breathed. I wondered what he had told his mother to have her worry about me like that. I was surprised he had just told his mother about me at all. I wondered how badly he felt and I had been so selfish and not thought of anyone's feelings, but my own.

And that was it. Derek didn't attempt to speak with me again for the years to come, I didn't realize my nerves would lead me to destroying something so beautiful from happening, but they did. And we just grew older, completely apart.

We knew of each other but we didn't know each other. He let me be while my feelings boiled and blistered every time I thought of him. It was driving me mad.

That is, until I reached out seven years later, a year after the wedding interaction and after he had moved away for work.