Chapter XXXIX

THE COMPLIANT

Could you find a way to let me down slowly?
A little sympathy, I hope you can show me
If you wanna go then I'll be so lonely
If you're leavin', baby, let me down slowly

***

CW: S*xual Assault

CHAPTER XXXIX

*****

“WHY HAVE YOU locked yourself up in here all day?” I asked as I let myself into Pablo's room, using my hand to fan away the smoke from his cigarette as the darkness enclosed us once I closed the door behind me.

Even though I couldn't see him, I knew he was watching me as I made my way across his room to open his blinds and the window. It was only after he noticed the expectant look on my face that he answered my question.

“I didn't want to smoke around Mateo.”

“So, you're trying to tell me that you've spent the whole day in here smoking?” I asked, giving him an incredulous look that let him know I knew he was lying.

He rolled his eyes at me but didn't bother to try and defend himself. Either because he was too tired to or because he felt there was no point. Instead, he patted the space beside him on the sofa, asking me to sit with him. Deciding not to argue, I made my way over to him, delicately holding the skirt of my dress so it didn't drag against the floor before I lowered myself down on the sofa beside him.

Immediately, he wrapped his arms around me in a tight hug, pressing his cheek to mine like the way we did when we were younger. Something that Mateo did as well which I hadn't realised he had learnt from me until now. He really did act exactly like me sometimes.

“You know you're my little sister, right?” he said, his voice quiet and croaky since I suspected he hadn't been using it much before I came. Who would he be talking to alone in his own room? “If you come back with even the smallest scratch on your body, I'll kill him.”

“Nothing will happen,” I said partly to comfort him but also for Daniel's own sake. It was clear who Pablo was referring to. I took the cigarette out of his mouth and put it out in the ashtray beside him before turning to him with a frown. “You need to stop worrying.”

He said nothing but I could feel his eyes on me, scrutinising every inch of my face before he let out a sigh. “Why do you even want to go and watch him kill that many people in the first place?” he asked, sounding like he was tired of fighting. I couldn't pretend that I didn't know how that feeling was like.

He asked a good question that I wasn't entirely sure how to answer. Why did I want to go to this ball with Daniel and watch these people die? Well, one answer was because I felt like Daniel was fighting a battle for me and a part of me didn't want to leave him alone to do that.

But the truth had been something much more sinister. The real reason I wanted to go along with Daniel this night was because I was power-hungry and my lust for blood was reaching an all time high. I didn't find joy in killing people, but there was something particularly satisfying about hurting those who had hurt you. I wanted to go because I wanted to look the Ivanovs in the eye when they took their dying breath so they'd realise that I wasn't called Venom for no reason and that they had chosen to mess with the wrong bitch. I wanted to rub in their faces that the same woman that had killed the main member of their family was now there to laugh in their faces before killing them too.

Pablo looked to me after my long silence, but I didn't respond because I knew that my silence told him everything I needed to say.

“You need to get a life away from Daniel,” he said, getting up out of his seat and heading to the door. “Your personalities are merging and it's scary.” I followed him out the door, not wanting to be alone in the dark room as it felt like the monster inside me would manifest into some physical entity and attack me. I followed behind Pablo into the hallway where he stood waiting for me to exit so he could close the door behind me. He let his eyes roam up and down my attire before speaking again. “Don't get blood on your dress. I like it.”