Padlocked

I WROTE THIS LAST YEAR I DON'T KNOW WHY I'M POSTING IT.

Magnus stared out at the ocean and the sky, both in their different shades of blue.. His arms rested on the steel rail at the end of the pier. It was a clear day, not a cloud in the sky. Over at the beach there were children playing in the water with their friends, siblings and parents, the yells of excitement from people winning in the arcade drifted through the air, blending in with the gentle shhh of the ocean.

The day was quite a relaxing one, not the kind of day you'd easily get stressed or angry on. A casual weekend in the summer holidays. That's what today was..

Magnus's eyes drifted around between the sparkling waters, the families playing, the sky and the birds in it. He knew he'd have to do it and leave, however much he wanted to stay in the moment, blissfully forgetting everything of the past few months...

It pained him to think about what had happened in those months.. He didn't want that right now... He needed an escape, some closure, and he'd finally gotten it right here. Right now he was alone though, and while that was what he'd wanted, he was anxious that any moment someone could appear. That was the last thing he wanted...

Slowly Magnus took a deep breath in, the salty sea air filling his lungs, then as he breathed out he stepped back and kneeled down reaching into the satchel bag slung across his torso.

At first his fingers didn't touch anything but the material inside the bag, but eventually he felt the cool touch of metal beneath his fingertips and he pulled it out of the bag.

A padlock.

He didn't look at it as he twisted the key that sat inside the keyhole, opening the padlock. He still didn't look as he found an empty spot amongst the many hanging on the wire fence at the end of the pier and slid it onto the wire. Closing the lock with a click. Then standing up, he removed the key with a short tug. He looked down at it in the palm of his hand for a moment before throwing it as far as he could, out into the ocean.

He watched as it fell with a plop into the water then turned away. He didn't want to look at the inscription on the padlock, the memory hurt him too much, so he turned and left.

As he walked away the ocean breeze began to swing all the padlocks at the end of the pier gently, including one with the inscription:

Ajit

21/2/2007 - 15/6/2021

I wish I'd told you I loved you.