Four

I could hear Skye talking before I could see her. She sounds excited and full of energy, despite the fact that her bedtime was creeping closer by the minute. If it were up to me, I'd stay in my room for the rest of the night and face Wyatt in the morning; but I couldn't say no to mom and dad. Both of them looked so relieved when I said it was okay for the Olivers to stay. The next thing I knew, the two of them walked out of my room, telling us girls to follow.

Before we can follow mom and dad into the living room, James walks out, his eyes wide in confusion, "When did you get here?" Lizzie asks him, walking over to her husband's side.

    "The real question is, when did they get here," He whispers, his eyes wide as he points to the room he'd left our "guests" in, "I thought we hated him? Do you want me to ask him to leave Marles? I can scare him off."

    I chuckled slightly; the idea of James scaring somebody off is comical. He has the most gentle and sweet personality; James couldn't harm a fly. James has always been a teddy bear, but every since having kids, it seems he's only gotten sweeter. He looked completely unthreatening in his cardigan and button up. "We do, and I appreciate the offer', but it's okay." I reassure him, being around my siblings already made me feel a little calmer. I couldn't imagine having to deal with seeing Wyatt again without them.

     "The Oliver's are staying for Christmas," Lizzie explains, in a quiet tone, careful that them and the rest of our family who are in the other room over can't hear, "it's a long story, I'll explain it when we get home."

     We all look towards the entryway to the living room, but none of us make an effort to enter, "if we sneak out now, maybe they won't notice." Harper whispers. Despite her teasing tone, she sounds partially serious.

    "I wish," I look back at her, wistfully, "come on, let's just get this over with."

     Lizzie nods at me, a proud look on her face before she turns around, leading the way into the living room. Mom, dad and Skye are sitting on the love seat next to the couch, where Wyatt and his mom are sitting. Dad stops talking mid-sentence once we enter, causing Nikki and Wyatt to look at us over their shoulders.

    "My goodness, look at you girls," Nikki broke the silence before it could get even more awkward, standing up to greet us. She was as short when I last saw her, with auburn coloured hair that she'd cut short sometime over the last five years.  She pulled Lizzie into a side hug first, glancing down at Iris, who's still asleep. "I've met Elliot, so this must be Iris. Your mom has told me so much about them. They're beautiful."

     Lizzie smiles, "thank you." She nudges James before saying, "We think so too."

     "And Marley," She turns to look at me, clasping her hands together, "you're so beautiful," I force a smile onto my face as Nikki pulls me into a hug, bending down so I'm closer to her height. I'm the tallest of my sisters, standing closer to James' height than any of theirs, "your mother tells me you live in the city now? You'll have to tell me all about it."

    I didn't want to, but I nod anyway, smiling at the woman. Nikki moves to hug Harper next, saying something about how grown up she looks. Part of me wants to say, "of course, we've all changed. It's been five years," but I keep my mouth shut, I wasn't Nikki's biggest fan either, but I couldn't be mean to her. It felt wrong.

    "Hey, Marley," I grimace at the sound of Wyatt's voice. He even sounds different, his tone was cautious, and I've never heard him sound so formal. I take in a breath before looking over at him, "it's been a while. How are you?"

    That's it? We haven't seen each other in five years, and he starts off with, "it's been a while"? I resist the urge to roll my eyes, pursing my lips together, "Yeah, it has been." I reply dryly, nodding my head in agreement.