Important Knowledge

Note from the author:

Moonglow rabbits are creatures of my own design and belong to me as an original creature within the Harry Potter universe, please do not use this creature in any writing, video, etc.

My main original characters I use in this story are Lorelei Lovegood, Levi Lovegood, Grayson Reid, Caspian Olive, and Henry Beckett. All other characters, places in the wizard world etc, belong to the Wizarding World company.

If you have any questions regarding the lore of this story you can watch my videos about this era on tiktok under #loreleilovegood all available on my tiktok profile at emishidden, or comment on any of my chapters.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This story is being completely rewritten with a new storyline, so please be patient while I write and upload the new chapters. I will leave the old chapters up in the meantime, but they will come down when the new chapters become available. 

Moonglow Rabbits

Lorelei Lovegood is a moonglow rabbit, similar to lycanthropes but far more rare, moonglows suffer from a similar condition as lycanthropy; where they are forced to transform into rabbits with glowing eyes, under the light of full moons.

Moonglows were often accidently created through the use of experimental magic on pregnant witches. In Lorelei's case it occurred when her mother tried drinking an experimental healing potion she had concocted while pregnant with Lorelei.

It is not a genetic disease, and as such did not affect the other Lovegood children.

A tale of old used to exist that moonglows; who uncontrollably produce large amounts of raw magic when transformed, are the unfortunate result of the greed of witches and wizards. Werewolves, the primary predators of moonglows, were created to be their hunters, serving as a reminder to the people of the price of unchecked greed. That experimenting with magic for gains of power and profit would only result in suffering and death for the wizard, and those around them.

Legilimens

As if a magical curse isn't enough of a bother, Lorelei was also born with Legilimency; the ability to interpret the emotions and thoughts of others, though this was a natural ability her mother also had and passed onto her.

Legilimens need to be near the person whose mind they want to read in order to invade their thoughts. This invasion into someone's mind can be countered by training in Occlumency. When using this ability, someone who is not sufficiently accomplished in Occlumency would feel their minds being invaded, and their often unwanted memories forced to the surface.

For Lorelei, it is unfortunately an ability she can use without trying. So she often accidently reads the minds of those she did not intend to, which can often come off as intrusive to those who don't know she has no ill intentions, and often does it without thinking.

Animagus

In order to learn the ability to transform back and forth into a witch or wizard's animal form, they must have a high skill in Transfiguration or Potions, at least, as it is a very complex transformation. 

A single mandrake leaf must be kept in your mouth for a month in preparation for becoming an Animagus, if you swallow or remove the leaf at any point, you must start the process again. 

You then have to procure a 'small crystal phial that receives the pure rays of the moon,' and put your saliva-covered leaf into the phial along with a strand of your own hair.

After this is done, for the next seven days a teaspoon of dew 'from a place that neither sunlight nor human feet have touched' must be added each day. The chrysalis of a Death's-Head moth is then added to the crystal phial.

This mixture must then be stored in a dark, quiet place, and left alone until the next electrical storm. While waiting for the storm, at each sunrise and sundown, you must place your wand across your heart and repeat the incantation; "Amato Animo Animato Animagus." Repeating this incantation can sometimes result in your hearing a second heart beat along with your own under your wand, but nothing must change in your incantation, and you must continue these incantations while awaiting the storm.

On the day of an electrical storm, as the first lightning strikes, the crystal phial must be retrieved and will appear to contain a blood-red potion inside instead of the leaf and dew.

Move to a safe place for your transformation to occur, and place your wand across your chest and say "Amato Animo Animato Animagus" and drink the potion.

Upon drinking the potion you feel an intense fiery pain, along with an intense double heartbeat coming out of your chest. 

The shape of the creature into which you'll transform then appears in your mind and you will transform. It is strongly advised that after your transform you hide your wand in a safe place, as it is not required to turn your back into your human form.

The first transformation is usually 'uncomfortable and frightening, as items such as glasses or jewellery meld to the skin and become one with fur, scales or spikes.' This is selective, and occasionally jewellery or piercings may translate onto the creature as scars, marks, or in their actual form; e.g. earrings remaining on the animal's ears. Clothing and other items transfigure with the body, so the animagus isn't naked when they retake their human form.

When you first transform, try to avoid panicking otherwise the animal mind 'may gain the ascendancy' and you could do something stupid or dangerous unintentionally.

To return to human form a new animagus must visualise their human form as clearly as possible. Transformation back may not occur immediately, but with practise you will be able to slip in and out of your animagus form at will, simply by visualising your creature.

Advanced animagus are able to transform without their wand.