Chapter 0.1 ☽ The First Quarter

"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid" - Franklin P. Jones

◊ ◊ ◊

Lorelei's blonde, curly mane stuck to her head in the rain, loose strands getting in her eyes because she couldn't be bothered to wipe them away

Lorelei's blonde, curly mane stuck to her head in the rain, loose strands getting in her eyes because she couldn't be bothered to wipe them away. She was too busy focusing on the cold hand of her younger sister, and the consistent bumping of her brother's shoulder against hers as they walked down the dark street. With her hand on the back of Levi's collar, and Luna letting herself be tugged by her feverishly-tensed arm, Lorelei soon spotted the sign of the Leaky Cauldron swinging gently in the night air.

Panic had subsided from Lorelei's mind long before they'd gotten onto the street, she guessed that emotion had left her sometime during their quiet trip on the Night Bus. The emotion that had replaced her fear had now become unimaginable exhaustion. Not even the darkly-clothed strangers that wandered along past them seemed to register in her grey-blue eyes, and her head felt heavy with how long she'd been awake to get them all the way from Catchpole.

Three raggedy-dressed kids, whose mops of blonde hair glued to their scalps while their boots stepped over the growing pools of muddy water, were slowly making their way to the little inn at the end of the street.

Lorelei was careful to mind the small flock of birds whirling around their heads, pushing Levi's head to the side as one swooped by a little too close. Flapping silently and awkwardly like living automata. Machines without souls. Which was partially true; as the birds were a clever form of a transfiguration charm she'd used to "lighten the load." The birds were, in fact, Levi's two school cases, Luna's suitcase, and Lorelei's dark leather case.

"Lori" Her brother tugged on the elbow of her sweater, "can we hurry up and get inside? I'd like to put dry socks on." The boy turned a sour look upon his features as she made eye contact with him, pulling her gaze away from its tireless pursuit down the road. Levi had a well-proportioned thin face for a thirteen-year-old, and he was quickly forming the ego that accompanied a pretty face. She had predicted the likely annoying conversations she would have with her professors in the future if Levi got into too much trouble talking over them in class, thinking he was better than everyone. He still had yet to be sorted, but she had him pegged for Slytherin just by the way he frowned at her, like he was always calculated some way to argue her plan of action.

But, being honest with herself, there's probably nothing more natural a trait in a thirteen-year-old then their developing super ego.

"How about this, I'll go and get us a room from the old lady, and you and Luna can pick what you'd like to eat from the dinner menu. Sound good?"

Lorelei caught a big grin on her younger brother's face before he hid it in his shoulder by rubbing his nose, a look that lifted her own smile to touch her cheekbones.

Luna leaned around her side to glimpse her brother, "I'd like to get dessert as well" she said, only just managing to finish her sentence before the roar of laughter exploded out of the Leaky Cauldron's old wooden door. Followed quickly by a shambling, drunk man who fell past them and sauntered off into the night laughing.