A Night (Trapped) in The Mall

Narrator's POV

It was a chilly Friday night. People had started to exit the mall since it was about to close. All that's left is a few more friends. They were sitting by Kitty's stall as they chatted.

"I'm telling you! Some of my take-outs are getting stolen!" Kitty complained, angrily washing the dishes. Scrubbing them as hard as she can. "Calm down, Kitty, or you might break the dishes," Mimi said, sipping the last of her drink, trying to contain her snickering. Kitty always looks funny when she is either frustrated or angry. Cheeks puffed and eyebrows narrowed.

"I'm pretty sure you must've just misplaced it, considering how clumsy you can be," Poley said while writing something on some papers. Kitty slammed her hand on the counter in front of him, giving him a scare, "I DID NOT! WHEN IT COMES TO MY JOB I NEVER MAKE MISTAKES! AND BECAUSE OF WHOEVER TOOK THEM I HAD TO REDO THE ORDERS! GRR!"

"Poley, you're an officer. Can't you at least look into this?!" Poley shook his head, "In case you hadn't noticed, this mall doesn't have any security cameras so I can't help you find the one who stole them even if I wanted to."

"But they do plan to get them installed as soon as possible. But since most of the budget needs to be invested towards the damage that The Infection caused, it's gonna be a long while. That's why Robby is here." Poley said, looking at the metal robot as he did his rounds of cleaning up some parts of the mall. "W-Well, Robby's not doing so great at its job by being a security bot!" Kitty huffed, turning her attention back to the dishes and rubbing them intensely.

"Actually, with Robby here, there had been little to no reports on anything. No pickpockets, no robbery, and all that stuff."

"Downside is that he would break down a few times. Make that A LOT of times but I just don't know how to properly fix him." Poley sighed. He had looked into some instruction manuals about robots before since he was in charge of Robby. Poley had an interest in mechanics when he was young so he was the perfect choice according to his boss, the chief.

"I don't get why you guys are still hanging around here," Kitty started, changing the subject. "Poley's my ride home. And I didn't mean to interrupt them on their 'date' but I just need to get something from the mall." Mimi explains. She chuckled as she saw Mousy and Poley looking embarrassed. Did she feel bad for third-wheeling? Maybe. But the looks on their faces when they get embarrassed are so worth it. "Anyways, you're almost done, right, Kitty?" Poley asked as he stood up, ignoring Mimi's comment. Kitty shut the cupboard after slotting the last of the plates in, "Almost! Just need to clean the counters one last time."

Loud clinging noises sounded through the hallway suddenly. Everyone turned their attention in that direction, "What was that?" Mousy asked, a bit terrified. "It's just Robby, don't worry. He's programmed to take out the trash at a certain time so this place doesn't stink." Poley explains, looking down at her. He then turned towards Kitty who had her back turned.

"Do you need a ride home as well? It is pretty late. Who knows what would happen if a girl like you walked alone on the streets late at night-"

"FIRST OF ALL!" Kitty practically shouted. Turning around and placing a finger on his mouth, startling everyone sitting by the counter. "I am perfectly capable of walking home alone, thank you very much." She said proudly, placing a hand on her hips, "Butttttt since you offered, who am I to decline the offer. Your mother raised you well to be such a gentleman, don't you agree, Mousy?" Kitty smiled teasingly. Poley glares at her as Mousy tells the two of them not to fight.

The ginger cat smiled to herself while peeking at the couple. She had never thought that Mousy would go out with someone like Poley considering that she's shy and very insecure about her disability. Poley on the other hand is not afraid to make mistakes in front of anyone and is always putting others first before himself. They compliment each other so well. Wonder how far they'll go?