𝙿𝚛𝚘𝚕𝚘𝚐𝚞𝚎: 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙿𝚜𝚢𝚌𝚑𝚘𝚙𝚊𝚝𝚑

Have you ever discovered something that you now know as essential, and wonder how you ever lived without that thing for so long? Like when you got your first phone, or when you learned how ride a bike? I'm trying to give you a little clarity to make it easier to understand what I'm going through, but I doubt most of you have had the same experience as me.

I've acquired some new information, but now that I know it there's no going back to the way things were before. All I know now is the intense desire to go back to before this realization, when things were simpler. This desire now consumes all of my thoughts.

       They say that ignorance is bliss, and this might be one of the first times I've ever agreed with that saying. A lot of stress and responsibility would be lifted from my shoulders if I was unaware.

However, I know that dwelling on it won't do anything except depress me further, so I need to focus on the good that could come from this. The question is, who I should use this supposed good for? Myself? The world? My family—

"Ms. Corentine, is everything alright? Would you like to repeat what I just said?" I hear my annoyed teacher say from the front of the room.

I blink and look up from my desk which I'd been staring at for a good twenty minutes, "What?"

She sighs and shakes her head, "Ms. Corentine, you need to pay attention in my class. You can't just daydream all day."

I hear a few snickers around the room and I feel my cheeks heat up slightly. I won't let her embarrass me like that and get away with it, "Why not? I do the work just like everyone else, and my grades are quite high."

"Corentine, don't boast about your grades in the middle of class." She says raising her voice a little.

I glance around the room, seeing the unimpressed faces of my classmates, "Why not? I work harder for better grades, if they want better grades they need to work harder just like I do."

"Corentine. Some people have things to do outside of school which makes their schedules more crowded, leaving less time for studying." She replies smoothly, giving me that sharp glare only a middle aged teacher can muster.

I furrow my eyebrows, aggravated at the fact that she thinks less of me than other students, and the fact she practically announced it to the whole class, "You basically just said that I don't have as much of a social life than other students."

"Corentine, don't put words in my mouth that I didn't say." She says defensively, though I can see right through her. The way she worded that sentence was purposeful.

"You implied that others have things to do outside of school so they can't study, but I can study, so that means I have less things to do outside of school," I retort, then add with some venom in my voice, "You don't know the half of my home life."

She opens and closes her mouth a few times before she finally responds, "I—I will not tolerate this disrespect in my classroom. Corentine, go to the office."

I take a good long moment to pinch the bridge of my nose before gathering my things and heading out the door. She's been looking for an opportunity to send me to the office for the past week, all because I corrected her that one time in history when she pronounced a word wrong.

—————

       The route to the office is one that I've taken the time to memorize, along with which teachers have which shift. I usually try to stop by after lunch, since one of my favorite teachers Ms. Klassen has her shift then.

       Entering the office, I give her the warmest smile I can manage at the moment, along with a small wave. Once she notices me she returns it, hers being much more genuine.

"Coren? What're you in for this time?" She asks me.

"The teacher insulted me, so I defended myself, and she called it disrespect so she sent me here." I consider it for a bit and continue, "To be fair, I did give her the same energy she gave to me, so maybe I was being a bit rude."

She purses her lips, "Can you tell me exactly what happened?"

"Alright," I explain everything that happened truthfully. I like Ms. Klassen, which is the reason that it disappoints me so much when she decides to follow the system.

A teacher should not believe a student over a teacher just because they favor them, that's what she's thinking. That's why there's a hint of concern on her face. She wants to believe me, but she'll have to ask Mrs. H what happened too. She'll lay out her side of the story, and Ms. Klassen will have to believe the more "rational" side: Mrs. H's side.

I pull a book out of my bag to pass the time, although it's hard to focus for the same reason I couldn't focus in class: my mind is occupied. Something needs to be done to right the wrongs of this world. As long as injustice still towers over us, my mind cannot rest.

       Should I use my new knowledge to make my family whole again? Should I use it to get good friends who will make me popular? Maybe I should just skip my personal desires and try to fix the whole world. Or, should I use it to only benefit myself?

       The world is unfair, but could one person really change everything? There are other things to take into account though, I'm not just a regular person trapped within the system of our society.

       I'm manipulative, cold hearted, and calculating.

       I am a Psychopath.