Chapter 1

Rain was pouring out hard in the town of London, nothing but dark clouds surrounded the sky and a small fog covered the filthy streets along with a cold breeze. A few people rushed through the streets to find shelter and get into the comfort of their home to start a fire and maybe drink some tea to calm their nerves of the bloody storm outside, while others who are homeless will probably hide in trash bins or dark alleyways . But on this peculiar day was a day that a man, his wife, and landlady will never forget.

A large ship was pulled into the dock of London where it would set off to Botany Bay which was miles away from London and somewhere in Australia. Miles away from home. The rain continued to drip down on the filthy cobble stones where rats scattered along with stray animals and beggars. Bits of thunder flashed, giving the clouds an odd lightshow that would frighten children where they would hide under their blankets for cover and animals to run for shelter thinking it's the end of the world, but this was normal for London and there was no place like it.

Three cops dragged up a man, who was around his mid 30's with dark curly hair and dark brown eyes, up to the ship who looked completely lifeless. His body stayed limp as the bobbies continued to drag him up to the ship. The fresh smell of the ocean lingered to the man's nostrils and he could hear the waves splashing below the ship, and a few seagulls cawing and flying around the harbour, almost as if they were mocking him. He couldn't believe this was happening. It was all a blur. Last thing he remembered was being with his dear wife and infant child strolling through the town of London with flowers surrounding them. The couple smiling at each other and the man giving his daughter a small daisy flower with her curious eyes staring at it in awe. It was a beautiful moment until a group of cops launched at him and snatched him away from his family. The look his wife gave him was something he will never forget and he could hear his baby crying as he's being taken away. The fear he saw in his wife's eyes along with disbelief and shock will be a face he'll never forget.

Before he stepped inside the ship, he turned where the dock was and his eyes laid on his beautiful wife Lucy who was staring at him, her golden hair slightly messy due to the rain and her ocean eyes cloudy with tears streaming down like a waterfall. He gave her a sorrowful look as if he was trying to say everything will be okay and mouthed the words "I love you" to her which made his distraught wife cry harder to where she nearly collapsed onto the dirty cobblestones.

Next to her was his landlady, Mrs. Lovett, who was holding a crying baby in her arms, Johanna, and the woman also looked at him sadly. She was like a friend to him even though his wife Lucy didn't seem to approve that he was talking to another woman but she was their landlady and she was kind enough to let his growing family rent the small room on top of her pie shop she owned so it was best to show respect and be social.

He was about to open his mouth to say something to her until one of the officers shoved him inside the ship which smelled horribly. It reeked of death and poor innocent souls being tortured, although he knew not all of them were innocent. The officers grabbed him by the shoulders harshly and guided him to his cell. "How long will I stay here?" He asked himself.

***

Lucy stared out at the ocean watching the ship her dear husband Benjamin was shipped off to. She didn't blink. She didn't move. The weather was horrible and she was shivering like a leaf but she didn't care. Her husband was going to be killed, they'll torture him until he no longer has the strength to live. She was alone now, no one to protect her or support her and help her take care of her child. She felt empty and desolate.

Tears streamed down her already damped cheeks. This couldn't be real, it had to be a dream. Most of the people in London know that the man Benjamin Barker is innocent. Many of his clients have said he brings good service and is quite the gentleman and very polite. This can't be happening. One moment she and her husband were out looking at flowers while strolling their daughter and the next thing that happens is her husband being taken away from her.