From The Shadows

"You should have done your research before you decided to go after me."

The voice came from somewhere up above, echoing off of the splintering wood of the abandoned warehouse. I spun around, head tilted up, looking for a shift in the shadows.

"Tell me, how exactly do you research a shadow?" I asked it, squinting my eyes as the shadow finally caught a ray of light. 

"Ouch, I'm hurt," It- no - he responded. His silhouette relaxed on a slanted beam, one leg bent, his arms seemingly crossed. 

"See, I know everything about you, Marina," I felt my breath catch and my jaw tighten. There were few people who knew my name, most of them were dead, others didn't show their faces around me anymore.

"How do you know my name?"  I whispered.

"Oh, I know a lot more than you're name, sweetheart," He hopped down to a crate, the wood creaking underneath him. "I know your favorite colors emerald green," Another jump closer. "I know about the scar on your right ankle," closer, "the shape of the knife that left it," he was almost to the floor. "I know that same blade resides sheathed on your right thigh," He was on the floor now, slowly striding towards me.

"You make insanely lucky guesses, asshole," My heartbeat started picking up, my feet stepped backward in time with his forward ones.

"I know who you killed with that blade," his voice got bitter with this claim, his steps speeding up. The walls of warehouse must have been closing in because they came much too soon to meet my back.

"You don't know shit," I hissed out. He chuckled without humor.

"No, dear Marina, I know everything about you," He was almost close enough to make out the features on his face, but the shadows seemed to be very stubborn with their duties. "And you, know nothing about me."

"You seem like a shy little boy, hiding from a fight," I knew this was most definitely not what was going on, and I knew that me provoking the mystery man was definitely a very, very bad idea.

"You're the one trapped against a wall, with no where to go," He was a breath away now but the room only seemed to get darker.

"Who said I had no where to go?" I did, in fact, have no where to go. "Who said I don't have any tricks up my sleeve?" I did not, in fact, have any tricks up my sleeve.

"Because if you did, you would have run by now," He somehow seemed to disappear from in-front of me, because his voice was now breathing down my back. It brought betraying goosebumps to my arms.

I started to find it bizarre how the shadows seemed to block the sun now, instead of the other way around. They seemed to be getting thicker as well, like a mask blocking out sight, like earmuffs muffling the noise. 

"Who are you?" My breath seemed to come shorter.

"Isn't it obvious?" I didn't know where his voice came from, it seemed to echo from all around me, bringing an unknown panic to my lungs.

No, it wasn't panic from him. The shadows were suffocating, squeezing my lungs until barely any air came in or out. I couldn't breath. I don't know how or why but I couldn't breath. It was like being in a prison of darkness, but the bars were getting closer and closer to me, to the point of no escape.

"I can't-" I grabbed my throat instinctively. "I can't-" I fell to my knees, my nails grabbing skin at my neck.

"You can't what?" His voice was in head. "Use your voice sweetheart," the shadows whispered into my ears. 

"I can't breath," I managed to choke out, my body getting getting weaker by the second. I continued to claw at my throat, with whatever energy I had left, beginning to tear through my skin.

But I couldn't.

I couldn't move my arms.

At that point, I was in and out of consciousness, not sure if my body was to weak to continue to hurt itself, or if the shadows themselves were stopping me from it.

Whatever it was, I couldn't move.

I couldn't breath.

I couldn't keep my eyes from falling shut as the shadows held me tight.

"Nighty night."

_________________________________________________________________

A/N

SO is it good? No.

But I really don't care. I'll probably edit it later but I have covid and am going to go to sleep. 

Also, I am trying so hard to enjoy Bridgerton but it is not happening. Like episode 1-5 were good but then now everything just...eh.