Evening of August 30th

“Why is it that the happiest of moments usher in sudden fear? Looking back, I had known all along that underneath the glittering world before my eyes lay my deception that everything was about to collapse with a breath of wind. I turned away, sidestepped, simply closed my eyes. Afraid I was, afraid to be loved for who I am.”

~

   I waited somewhat impatiently for Seokjin at the side of the road. He said that he would meet me at 8:00. It was getting dark outside and the chilly wind began to numb my skin the longer I stood there.
   A million thoughts were running through my head, yet I couldn’t really think about a single one. I was frazzled and nervous and-
   Out of the corner of my eye, I saw someone waving at me. When I went to look I saw Seokjin standing there, holding a blue and purple bouquet. His hair was styled, unlike the first time I saw him, and he was wearing a gray jacket over a white button down shirt.
   And just like that all my worries melted away. Seeing him standing there brought a smile to my face. I happily waved back and crossed the road, my eyes only fixed on him.
   But that's when I saw his face turn from happy to confused. Then he just looked filled with worry.
   Being confused myself, I turned and saw a car plummeting straight at me.
   My brain shutdown.
   My eyes closed.
   I knew at that moment there was nothing I could do.
   I knew the grief I would bring upon Seokjin.
   I knew all my research would only make him grieve more.
   I knew what he was about to face as soon as I was gone.
   I knew it would break him.
   That’s why right before the car hit me, I quietly whispered:
   “I’m sorry.”