Prom

Afternoon May 24, 1971

Time flew by like an air tractor dusting a field, if you looked twice it was gone. On a humid May afternoon, Daisy and her crew of friends prepared for prom. Hair was curled. Bangs feathered. Blue and pink eye shadows smeared across eyes that crows feet had not yet touched. The girls laughed and laughed as Maggie May spun on the record player. 

Adalynn finished curling her layers and asked, "Who looks better? Me or Farrah?"

"Oh definitely you, but not Farrah... you look just like Lonnie Anderson! Jebb's gonna flip." Jessie said. 

"I'm tryna look channel the essence Susan Dey." Lizbeth said. "Do you think my hairs short enough, or should I cut it and curl again?" she asked hold Daisy's sheers to her ends.

"Lizbeth no! Are you fucking crazy!" Adalynn screamed.

"Ya'll my momma will tan your hide if she hears you yellin' 'fuck' in her house." Daisy cautioned. "You know the only time she ain't hard a hearin' is when we're cussin'."

"Sorry" Adalynn said. 

"And as for you Lizbeth Martini you cut your hair and then we'll all know that if dumb was dirt, you'd be 'bout an acre." Daisy said. 

In the distance they all froze and listened. "Daisy Jane! Did I just hear one a your friends abuse the Lord's language?"

"No, momma." Daisy hollered back. 

"Alright, well you girls make sure I don't ever hear the Lord's language misused in my hour or my ear shot." 

"Yes, momma." Daisy said. 

"What about the rest of ya'll ladies?" 

A chorus of yes mam's echoed in the room. 

Late Afternoon May 24, 1971

Hours later the girls had transformed themselves into living dolls. Mrs. Walker's living room was filled a pastel rainbow of floor length chiffon and taffeta. Arms were covered in the latest fashion of sheer blouson long sleeves. And, in keeping with the prom theme, each dress captured the essence of a romantic floral garden. 

Mrs. Walker coughed as she walked into the room. The vapors of too much Chanel 19 and too little fresh air congested her air way,"ahh ha ahh ha...ladies, oh my." She walked over to the farm house window and tugged up to open it. "Damn thing is stuck, " she said. Then she gave the right hand corner a punch, grabbed the lower pane and pulled up.  "Oh, there we are! Much better." she sighed.

"You okay, momma?" Daisy asked cautionsly. 

"Yes, of course I'm okay," Mrs. Walker sneered, "I'm just wondering what you ladies are attempting to hide will all of that god awful perfume." Looking each girl up and down she said, "Ah well, no matter. Ya'll a bunch a whores anyhow. When are you leavin'? I'd like my peace and quite back."

"Momma!" Daisy exclaimed. 

"Do ya'll have a problem with what I said? Wait on the side of the road for all I care. It's a damned privilege to stay in my house. You have until 6:45 then I expect this house empty." She turned and walked away leaving. Daisy sat stoically on the sofa, head poised downward and a deep sadness in her eyes. It was alway shocking to the other girls when Mrs. Walker acted like the devil was within her, but it wasn't surprising. 

"Daisy!" Jessie said. "Let's go up to your room and listen to the new Dolly Parton album."

"Plus it's amazing!" said Adalynn

"Sure, you're right. That'd be better than sitting on these dusty old couches anyhow." said Daisy. 

6:30 PM May 24, 1971