Promises

May 15, 1971

Daisy didn't make it home for curfew. At 1:00 AM, after the group had downed three cases of Little Kings, she passed out in Bo's arms on the soft blue grass by the bank of the Levisa Fork. 

She woke in the dark. Her head was throbbing and mouth was dryer than cotton field in July. Feeling bile rising from her stomach she sat up. "Jesus Christ," Daisy said silently cursing the beers from a few hours ago. With seconds to spare, she jumped up and ran to the over grown brush five paces away. Last night's extracurricular beverages spewed from her like an open fire hydrant. She heard something rustling in the near by dried leaves, left overs from the fall, and jumped. It was only Bo coming to check on her. 

"You okay?" he said scratching at his matted down hair. 

"I think I'm fixin' to die." she said. 

Bo laughed, "Well good lookin' I don't know about that. Let's find some water for you to drink down."

Daisy wiped wiped her mouth, sighed, and followed Bo. 

They stopped by a clear creek. The sound of fresh water singing as it trickled down tiny waterfalls. "Here." Bo said, "Drink some of this." He cupped the icy water in his hands and slurped up a gulp. 

Daisy did as she was beckoned. Cupping the water in her hands and taking big long sips. She splashed some in her face and then lay back in soft plush grass. Bo laid down next to her. Both on their backs, starring up into the canopy of large poplar tree. 

"Daisy" Bo said. 

"Yeah" 

"Daisy, I enlisted yesterday."

"What?" she questioned. "You mean like in the damn Army, Bo?"

Bo sighed, "Yes, in the army."

"Why?"

"I want to marry you Daisy Jane. I want us to have a good life. I have no prospects here in this damned mining town." Bo sat up, "I need to do this."

Daisy continued to lay there, "But why? Whatch you gotta prove? And to who?"

"I need to prove to your daddy that I ain't fucking poor white trash. I need him to know that I am worthy of marryin' a Walker girl." Bo said.

"So you're gonna do that by enlistin and headin over to Vietnam? Maybe just stick around and show him your loyal to only me." she said. 

"Your daddy wants a man who can provide. I ain't smart enough for college. And I'm good at football here in this small-town, but I ain't good enough to take it anywhere else." 

"Bo, but you're so much more than that. You're a whiz at fixin cars. You could get a job at Pete's shop." reasoned Daisy. 

"No." he said. 

"But why not? You can't go Bo. You can't leave me here, why have plans." she said. 

"Daisy, I'm going. I'll come back with money in pocket and bravery in my heart. I'll be a real man." 

"But you'll miss Senior year! All the things we've dreamnt about. Senior prom, homecoming..." Daisy trailed off. Her voice choking on tears. "Bo, you can't leave." she cried. 

"When I come back we'll get married. Who needs prom, you can plan a weddin' Daisy. Plan it while I'm gone." he said. 

Sniffling she said, "Bo, you promise me you'll be back? Promise me you'll come back and I'll graduate and we'll get married, please. Bo, you swear you'll be back?"

Bo pulled her towards him. Wrapped her in his strong warm arms lifted her face to look him in the eyes and said, "Daisy Jane Walker, I promise you I will be back."