Bocephus Enoch Varnum

Bocephus Enoch Varnum was and enigma. Everyone in town knew he was sneaky, selfish, and liar. But, for the people of Vernville, Kentucky his two redeeming qualities outweighed the bad. Bo was gorgeous and good at football. He represented something Vernville had been missing and that was beauty and success. Bo's rise to fame in the small town was solidified when he lead the Midnight Night High Miners to their first state championship in nearly two lifetimes.

Verneville was too small for it's own water tower so one was shared with the neighboring town of Shelbiana. In the middle of two small Kentucky towns a water tower read, "Home of the State Football Champs '70." Under that, Coach Silliman painted, "The Miners of Midnight Diamond High School" then he hastily scribbled "not Shelbiana."

Each time a Vernian passed that water tower their mouthes curved into a smile and their hearts thanked Bo Varnum.

May 14, 1971

The town of Vernville was still celebrating their football State Championship deep into the heat of May and Bo Varnum took advantage of it.

Bo Varnum was hot. The young moms in town said he looked like James Dean and giggled with each other whenever they saw him. His sandy blonde hair was always just a little too long, in a rugged tough way, not like the greasy mops some stoners had. He looked like the all American dream.  But, Bo Varnum had an air of badness to him that he could not hide. He didn't back down from a fight, but he'd hall the door for old Ms. Prichard. He drove a shit truck, but could also hop onto David Foster's hog and hit speeds of 102MPH. The kids at school thought he wore his jeans too tight so that he'd look good, but in reality the $25 it took to get a new pair at Sears was more than he and his momma could afford. 

Bo sauntered into his 5th period English class. He needed to leave school early, but couldn't afford anymore tardies. He planned to sweet talk and lie his way out of the class with a valid excuse. 

"Mrs. Metz you sure are looking pretty today."

"Why thank you Bo Varnum, you are the sweetest boy in this town. Even sweeter'n a Razzle." n.

Inconspicuously, Bo held his right elbow and gave it a rub. Wincing just enough to make this lie a truth he said, "Now, you know I love this history class. And your lesson today just really taught me sumthin' else, Mrs. Metz."

Ignoring his veiled compliment, she said, "Why Bo Varnum is your elbow hurtin' you son? I think you outta just head on home and rest that arm awhile."

"Yes, 'mam. If you think its the right thing to do. I'd hate to miss anymore of your lecturin'." said Bo.

Without hesitation, the aloof old woman stood up and said, "Now you listen hear Bo Varnum I'm your elder and I say go on and get! Take care of that arm child."

Forgetting his counterfeit elbow pain, Bo picked up his book-sac, smirked to himself and headed towards the door.

Once he'd taken two steps toward the parking lot Bo ran to his busted up '62 Chevy Shortbed, put 4 on the floor and drove towards Allen City.

The recruiters offices was dusty as hell and smelled like barbecued possum and old feet. Sgt. James Lynn was a beast of a man, with an explosive voice, and a bone grinding grip. Bo held his breath as he tried hold back the pain he felt creeping across his face and said, "nice to meet your Mr. Lynn."

"That's Sgt. Lynn to you, young man."

"Yes, sir." he said bowing his head in apology.

"Have a seat and lets talk."

"Yes, sir."

"I assuming you came here because you're 18 and you want to enlist. Am I right?"

"Yes, sir thats right." said Bo.