Chapter Four

JETHRO

By the time lunch rolled around, I was just about ready to smash someone's face in. The new girl had taken my seat in chemistry, and I was forced to sit next to this kid who didn't stop staring at me until I smashed his shin in with my foot.

Breezing into the empty café with my best friends at each side, we filled two cedar benches while the server flashed us a smile of acknowledgement from the counter.

On days like this, I was pretty grateful to be friends with Draven. Being born into the Vaughn Bridwall family gave him access to the private cafeteria, which was miles away from the regular restaurant that always sounded like squirrels were having an orgy.

"What are you all having with your food?" The soft voice of the waitress pierced into my thoughts.

She was standing in front of our table with her hands clasped tightly together.

My gaze swept over her petite frame. She was older than us, with blonde hair that fell all the way to her ass, long legs connecting to black stilettos and tits that perked inside her tight waitress uniform.

I'd seen her before but didn't give her a second glance because the way she stared at me gave me the creeps. But I had to admit, she looked way different today.

She'd done something to her waitress uniform. Tightened the white top and shortened the dark skirt so that it fluttered around her creamy thighs as she moved.

I blinked.

The predictable ones were never my type no matter how attractive they were.

I tore my eyes away from her body and looked up, ignoring the entertained looks Draven was slinging my way. "Coke." I muttered and watched her cheeks turn bright crimson.

Draven and Maxen asked for red wine and some stevia-sweetened orange juice, while Slade requested sparkling water.

"I'll be right back." She responded, a soft smile spreading across her features. Her gaze lingered on mine for more than a second, before she blinked and backed away from the table.

"That was almost painful to watch," Draven drawled out. "The girl's got it bad for you."

"That's too bad." I exhaled, unlocking my phone and scrolling through.

"Understandable. Jethro likes them feisty and with a story," Slade tossed a devilish grin in my direction. "Like that new girl."

Draven grunted in silent agreement.

"Jethro's got taste," Maxen looked almost repulsed. "He wouldn't like the new girl even if she was the last female on earth, so quit it."

"I never knew Jethro needed a mouthpiece." I seethed.

Slade stared at me, cocking his head slightly to one side. "Come to think of it, why did you save her from Elsher? For a second I thought you and her were going to suck faces or some shit."

"Baseless bullying doesn't sit right with me. It's not a big deal, let's not make one out of it."

They knew it was bullshit.

Bloody hell, I wasn't buying it either.

When I saw the new girl trying her best to hide her true emotions after beverage was dumped on her head this morning, it was all too familiar.

As her wide grey stared back at me, I just thought to myself; She's good.

But not good enough because I recognized it.

Then I was certain. She was like me—a million times better than me, masking her pain to survive. Wearing an exterior of normality, largely unaware that suppressing pain was like covering a grenade with a piece of cloth.