A shade of Indigo

We head downstairs as the music gets louder. I think of the last time I was at this staircase, right when Keilan kissed me for the first time.

"Just one" Lindsey shouts over the loud music. I shake my head not comfortable enough to want alcohol. I'm not of legal age.

"It'll help with the pain" she speaks as she downs the blue drink. I look down as I wonder if Keilan likes girls that drink.

Taking that as a reason to drink, I quickly down the coconut flavoured drink. I need to remove him from my thoughts. Who cares what kind of girls he likes, I'm focusing on myself.

"Just one" I reply making Lindsey grin. She takes my hand and leads me to the dance floor.

Laser beams were the source of light, blending in with the fluorescent hue from the bar.

We dance to the electronic music making me laugh. This is actually fun.

I feel a weight lift over my shoulder as I enjoy the moment. For a few minutes I forget about him, letting go as we dance to the up-beat songs.

Lindsey goes back to our table, mentioning additional cocktails before she leaves. The vibe is great and I start to dance with a couple of strangers.

I never thought that things would turn out this way. All my life I played by the rules but now I'm thinking of how good it feels to be free.

Turning to Lindsey, she drinks two more glasses right before she picks up her phone.

Part of me is worried that she will get too drunk, but she does this almost every week. I on the other hand I'm starting to feel lighter.

I dont know how it is to be drunk, but I only drank one glass so I cant possibly be.

She walks up to me her expression now different. "Keilan is here"

The music is loud but I heard every word she said. Smiling, I continue dancing.

"I don't care!"

She laughs and starts to dance too. I feel light headed as a buzz runs through me. Now I know why my best friend loves to drink.

A guy comes behind her whispering in her ear. I almost snap at him but she nods, taking his hands and placing them on her hips.

Turning to the random strangers I was dancing with earlier, one takes my hand. They look young and I wonder if we are the same age.

Stop overthinking.

I nod to myself, listening to the voice in my head. Tonight is all about letting go and enjoying the moment.

Walking back to our table, I'm reminded that I'm unfit. I sit down and take a breath, Lindsey still dancing with the guy she just met.

"You must be thirsty" A deep voice startles me. The figure walks past me and sits on Lindsey's chair.

I'm at ease when I see his face and back to my comfort zone. Dean hands me bottled water that's sealed and I wonder if he was watching me all this time.

"Keilan's a mess right now I could use your help"

Opening the bottle, I focus on reliving my thirst.

"I'm not his mother"

A waiter brings two glasses and I remember Lindsey ordering them earlier.

"Dont drink too much"

"Okay dad"

He laughs before I drink the entire glass. When I first met him he seemed like the reckless one. But now I realise that I shouldn't have judged him by the cover.

I lock eyes with dark ones, watching the figure walk towards us. Keilan grabs my arm, making me stand up. I try to push him away but he's way too strong.

Dean raises up his hands, as I try to ask him to help. People start to look at us and I notice I'm kind of starting a scene.

It's like the liquor decides to kick in as I grab hold of a metal railing as we walk past the stairs. I dont care if I'm kicked out, I wont let him kidnap me.

"Fuck this"

He puts me over his shoulder, leaving me too stunned to do anything else. I give up as he walks to the exit, feeling the cold air once we get out.

He puts me down, grabbing my arm when I try to walk away. Looking around we're at the far end of the parking lot.  I start to cry at the fact that as much as I put up a fight, I really want to be with him. Why does he have this effect on me? Or am I just drunk?

I look up at him and he wipes my tears. Hugging me tight, everything starts to feel better. The stars behind him make him look like a fairy tale.

"Is your leg okay?"

"Yeah I feel better. Thanks for the first aid"

Opening his car, he grabs a whiskey bottle that's half empty. Drinking it he looks back at me, throwing it when he finishes it. The glass shatters on the concrete, making a stray cat run away.

"Don't you ever fucking leave me again" he starts to sing walking towards me. His voice is soothing making me forget about the shattered glass. The lyrics are harsh but the melody sounds lovely.

We're both drunk but he's clearly taken more than me.

"I'm a fucking mess. And I need you with me" he continues with the song grabbing me by my waist.

I feel dizzy from the liquor, really wanting him to kiss me. Parting my lips, I react to him holding me so close. Looking deep into my eyes he lets go of me.

I bite my lips smiling. Two can play this game.

"I want to get back to Lindsey"

He chuckles, giving me a rueful smile.

"You will lose if you play this"

"Then kiss me already"

He looks at my lips with want, then looks up into my eyes.

"I liked you better when you weren't needy"

Laughing I think of the paradox. He's literally the one that dragged me out here and I'm the needy one?