Seventeen

Author's note.

Yeah, so guys I know I've said this so many times I probably sound desperate now but please and please, vote and comment. It's my wish to see one of my works published some day and whenever that time comes, it'll only be because the audience likes the book.

So please for the umpteenth time,always try to drop a vote and a nice comment too. What do you think of the characters?

Enjoy this chapter, it's a really long one, almost three thousand words without the author's note.

"You have to meet with the Elders." Ije said as she took me with her upstairs. Confusion marred my face and she took a deep breath. "There's a tradition that in crime families in Nigeria, a new bride has to meet with all the other leaders of the crime families." Give me a break from all this nonsense.

"Why?" I found myself asking. In my head, I was convinced these people just made stuff up to show how much power they have over people they seem weaker than them. Elders?? That's hounded absolutely stupid.

"Well, because many years back. A fight ensued between an Elder and a new bride and the Elder got angry and shot the wife dead." Clara explained. What?

"So this led to a bloodbath. Other crime families from all over the world had to intervene. So it became a rule that all new member of a particular crime family will have to meet the other families to stop history from repeating itself." Ije finished.

Whatever this was, I didn't want to be a part. What did these people thing they were doing? And who says stuff like that and it could have happened but still, the moral of the story was, you shouldn't just kill someone because they annoyed you.

"But...." I started to say but was interrupted quite rudely.

"But what miss Lawal? Are you really that slow?" I didn't know he was behind us and from his tone, I could tell he rolled his eyes so hard they almost fell out of their sockets.

"Please tell your brother to keep quiet." I muttered to Ije. That man, ugh.

"Please keep quiet." She relayed to him and he snorted. Clara just giggled, earning a glare from him.

"You have three hours until they arrive. I don't condone lateness." And he was gone. That's the only thing he does best, bark out orders and then leave. Knowing that I didn't have an option but to do his bidding.

"But they all saw me two days ago, I signed the contract with him there and they were watching." I protested, I would honestly rather not be in a room with more people who killed people for fun. I have had enough.

"Camilla, I know you don't want to meet them. But what you see happening is tradition. It can't just change because of you." Ije stated. "And would you rather have them shoot you on the streets one day?" Her bluntness, she was not different from her brother in that aspect. She was just as blunt as him.

"No no." I said quickly.

"And besides, you're supposed to be side by side with Christian. You have as much power as him in the underworld. So people would like to know their leader right?" Clara cocked an eyebrow.

"Leader?" I asked.

"Yes, he's the head of the Nigerian Mafia." Ije said, she sounded proud of him.

Holy shit. Just great. It was enough to know he was a criminal, now he has a high rank as well. Just my luck.

"Good, let's get you ready quickly." My breakfast threatened to come back up as I imagined myself, just sitting there with them, with men like him. I stood up and Clara followed hotly on my heels. Ijeoma stood by my side, holding my hand.