Fifty-Six

November 2011

"Morning sunshine."

Eddy jolted awake to the sound of a violin case being slammed shut.

As he tweaked his ear to the source of the commotion and half opened his eyelids, blinding brightness bored into his blurred vision, all too quicker for his taste. Groaning, he rubbed his eyes open, only to squint at his phone again. 

"Dude it's 6"

"Well since you were concerned last night, I decided I might as well let you know of my plans." The silhouette leaning against the study table retorted as Brett crossed his arms over his chest and took a long glance at Eddy in mild indignation.

"How generous of you, master Yang", Eddy grumbled, sliding back into his bed, "and I never said I was concerned."

 "Oh come on, don't be a snob!" 

"Dude it's 6 and you say I'm being a pussy! I understand you wake up and sleep at ungodly hours but do have some mercy on me!" He batted his eyelids at Brett before pulling the covers over himself until he was completely hidden from view, except for a stubborn strand of black hair which peeked out callously from under his quilt, as if it were jeering at Brett.

"Fine whatever, I was gonna take you to bubble tea, my treat." 

The covers yanked up as Eddy wiggled his head out of his cocoon at the heavenly mention.

"Mm?

Bubble tea, you say?"

•••

One cannot say there is a specific time for savouring the deliciousness of milktea, and thus Brett found himself glancing at his watch while standing in a surprisingly conjested line, an hour later than what he'd planned for. He sighed, his plans for a 'peaceful' morning practice session had been ruined by Eddy's incompliance. If only he could have - 

"Sir?" 

"Oh! Uh 2 coconut, no ice, 50 and 150% sugar." He continued in his monotone, a bit ticked off at his thoughts being interrupted, the instance probably being an indication of how his day would be going downhill, he mentally grumbled in affirmation.

Even if he wouldn't admit it to Josh, the upcoming session with Jason was more than enough to make him the cat on a hot tin roof. He had thought of some strategies, which he was eager to experiment with too, but he was unquestionably more eager to preserve his bones and flesh as they were.

Lost in his thoughts, he gathered the change, searching for Eddy in the sea of students until his eyes landed on a secluded booth at the corner of the shop where Eddy sat, waving at him. Picking up his tray, he sauntered towards the waving eddy and placed the cups onto the table.

With the other hand, he dumped his music score on the table and slid into the couch opposite to eddy as the delicious aroma of the milktea invaded his nostrils. 

"Sooo" eddy began, picking up his cup from the tray, piercing a straw in the opening. 

"Ahh damnit" (another aggressive stroke) "Yess!"

"So, Mendelssohn, huh?" 

 Brett nodded relishing the squish of the boba inside his mouth. 

 Eddy hummed, leaning back into his seat as he leisurely sipped the beige fluid. 

 "Sad, The prof must have had it bad against you." He grinned, "perhaps your Tchaik offended him." 

"Must have..."