Chapter No. 56

Chapter No.56.

The Avenger and Achiever dropped out of warp near a suspected habitable planet orbiting a red dwarf star that had gotten through its hissy fit adolescence and had settled down to a more middle age stability. The question of whether an intelligent speices had survived its violent stage was yet to be answered.

"I have detected a vessel on intercept," LuLu reported. "I believe it has activated weapons."

Ryan sighed. "Chara has a knack for finding belligerent aliens."

The alien vessel fired an energy weapon at the Avenger.

"Dive below the enemy vessel and fire at its underside," Ryan ordered.

Hari dived the Achiever under the enemy, which was still firing at the Avenger, and blasted its bottom. She then pulled out into a sharp turn that allowed her to blast its back end.

The Avenger joined the battle to rake the enemy vessel with concentrated fire. The enemy vessel drifted off out of control.

Chara's image appeared on the main screen. "Our vessel has suffered damage, but it has not been compromised."

"We will make sure that there are no new enemy vessels," Ryan told her.

Chara nodded before the communication link ended.

"Take us nearer to the planet," Ryan told Hari.

"I am not detecting any other vessels," LuLu reported.

"Good," Ryan replied after blowing out a relived breath. "Maybe this is another robotic species."

"I am not detecting any electromagnetic signals," Mitzi reported.

"Maybe we can get better information once we get in orbit."

Both the Avenger and Achiever achieved orbit around the alien planet.

"This planet is larger than Earth," Mitzi said. "Its atmosphere has very little oxygen. Most of it is composed of nitrogen with five percent carbon dioxide."

"That would suggest that there is no biological life," Evan said.

"Yes. We're dealing with a robotic species. Maybe this is an example of AI based life that Chara is looking for."

"If that's the case, then this species came from somewhere else," Ryan said.

"Unless this is an example of AI based life evolving without a biological source."

"We're in trouble then. It would represent the ultimate state of AI evolution, a disaster that would lead to robotic dominance of the universe. I think that it would follow what's called Instrumental-Convergence, a point where an AI based species becomes conscious of their own existence."

"That means we're superfluous," Evan said. "All it would take is for these androids to find a way to repair themselves."

"We're jumping to conclusions here. Let's find out how this robotic species came about."

Chara image appeared on the main screen. "I require you're help in repairing my vessel."

"No problem," Ryan said. "I'll be right over."

Ryan made the journey over to the Avenger in a shuttle. As soon as he arrived, he hurried to the command deck and found Chara there with Alma and two other androids.

"Thank you for saving me," Chara said without any show of emotion.

"Hari appears to have the same quick responses as you have. I assume that this is a robotic species, but there is no evidence that they originated on this planet."