14. The Ruckus

Mother's grip around my arm is getting painful every second. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Why, Mother?" I ask, almost whispering while tears stream down my cheeks. "What have I done to you to deserve this?"

Without answering my question, she drags me to the center of the room, joining trembling Mary who is now sitting on the sofa like a scared kitten. My mother tosses me next to her before walking to the door and locking it. As she turns around, she glares at Mary. "You lied, you little snitch! You said you didn't know where she was."

"I-I can explain, Mrs. Adelson," Mary stammers.

"Explain why you betrayed us?" Mother challenges her, walking slowly in our direction. "Or explain how you are going to pay for this?"

"Mom," Lola calls in a worried tone.

"I can't do this, Mrs. Adelson. This is wrong, and we can get into trouble if we're reported to the police."

"Report us how? If you never open your big mouth, then no one would know about this."

"Please," Mary begs as she shakes her head. "This is just wrong. We can't do this to her."

"It's too late to tell me what you think, young lady. You agreed to do this for money, and now you're trying to talk about what's right or wrong? Such a hypocrite human being." She grabs Mary by the hair, earning a painful yelp from the poor girl. "I knew from the start that I couldn't trust you. Poor people like you are just disgusting and useless."

"Mom. There's no point in screaming in her face now. Her mom might be here soon. We need to figure out what to do next," Lola warns in a sharp voice but from the glint in her eyes, she's as terrified as the rest of us.

"What we're going to do is to get rid of this filthy snitch. She can't be trusted. She's bad for business."

"W-what do you mean by getting rid of Mary?" Lola asks.

Mother sneers at Mary. "Watch me."

"Please don't hurt her, Mother," I beg as I stand up and try to free Mary's hair from her clutch. "I will do anything you ask me to. You can have all my money if that's what you want, but please don't hurt an innocent soul!"

Mother barks into laughter. "Innocent soul, you said? First, she agreed to hurt you for money. Now, she sells information behind my back after her debt is paid. Don't you see what she's doing? She accepts blood money while showing the world she's a saint. Do you call that innocent? You're just as dumb as always, Gretta."

"Please, Mrs. Adelson," Mary begs. "We still can stop this plan. It's not too late. I will give the money back. I promise."

"And how are you going to pay me? With this worthless house that is so close to crumbling?"

"I will find a way. Just give us some time, and we will pay it back."

"The only thing we should do now is to shut your mouth forever." Mother growls at Mary's face.

"No, please." Mary quivers. "There's no point in killing me, Mrs. Adelson. Too many people know about this already."

Mother's eyes are narrowing at her. "What do you mean? Who else knows about this?" When Mary doesn't reply right away, she fastens her grip, making the girl whimper in pain. "Who?"

"M-my relatives and Damien."

Mary's reply is answered by a horror gasp from Lola. "You told Damien?" she asks, the color draining from her face.

"Very well. You chose your own dead-end once you decided to become a traitor." Mother drags Mary across the room and throws her against the wall, causing the whole shed to rattle. In one blink of an eye, my stepmother retracts a black metal gun from her purse, unlocks it, and aims it at Mary. The room falls into silence once everyone realizes what is going on.