Soldier, Poet, King

Link X GN!Bard!Reader

Song: Soldier, Poet, King by The Oh Hellos

The Calamity brought darkness to Hyrule one treacherous night a hundred years ago. Loss, death and grief filled the hearts of many as Malice took over the land. People learned to adapt to the environment as nature took over where corruption perished.

Today, a century later, the villagers of Hateno received a curious visitor, one that sported a golden harp. The Wandering Bard. A beloved storyteller that traveled throughout the land and sang stories everywhere they went.

The jovial tune of the harp that resonated along the quiet streets of Hateno Village made the residents pause their daily lives to follow the sound. The workers took a break, the women stopped their chats, the children paused their games, all to listen to the peculiar song. As they all followed the melody to the center of the village, they found the young musician playing a song forgotten by time.

As the audience gathered around the bard, the lyrics of the song begun.

"There will come a soldier who carries a mighty sword

He will tear your city down

Oh lei, oh lai, oh, Lord

Oh lei, oh lai, oh lei, oh, Lord

He will tear your city down

Oh lei, oh lai, oh, Lord"

The story of the Hero of Legend was known across the land. The prophecy stated that he, along with the sword that seals the darkness, would have to face Calamity Ganon in battle to free the world from its clutches. Being put to sleep in the Shrine of Resurrection, he would return a hundred years later to fight Ganon.

Rumors circulated around that the hero had already woken up from his deep slumber and that he's preparing himself once more for the war against Calamity, but nobody knows for sure.

As the song progressed, many followed the melody clapping their hands, tapping their feet or humming along, still foreign to the lyrics the bard sang.

A wide smile adorned the bard's lips whilst observing the hesitant couples that formed to dance along. The next lyrics fell from their lips smoothly.

"There will come a poet

Whose weapon is Her word

She will slay you with Her tongue

Oh lei, oh lai, oh, Lord

Oh lei, oh lai, oh lei, oh, Lord

She will slay you with Her tongue

Oh lei, oh lai, oh, Lord"

The blessed Princess of Hyrule possessed a sacred power bestowed upon her by the goddess Hylia. It is said that the princess sealed herself and Calamity Ganon away in Hyrule Castle. A hundred years have passed since then and she still fought strong to keep Malice from wiping the land from all life.

The wise princess of Hyrule awaits in the castle for the courageous hero to fight against the powerful evil and seal it away for good.

Many have faith that the heroes of Hyrule will finally bring peace to the land.

The villagers of Hateno danced carelessly around the Wandering Bard. Some sang along to the "oh-lei-oh-lai's" of the song. A few villagers had left and returned with their own instruments to join the bard as a makeshift band. The upbeat music filled the village with vibrancy and life.

"There will come a ruler

Whose brow is laid in thorn

Smeared with oil like Hylia's boy

Oh lei, oh lai, oh, Lord

Oh lei, oh lai, oh lei, oh, Lord

Smeared with oil like Hylia's boy

Oh lei, oh lai, oh, Lord

Oh lei, oh lai, oh lei, oh, Lord

He will tear your city down, oh lei, oh lai..."

Not many live from when terror consumed the land. The ones who remember Calamity Ganon and stood in the presence of the chaos, remember it vividly. The monstrosity that is Ganondorf is certainly one that will forever be remembered all throughout history.

Calamity could not be stopped then, but if the prophecy still holds true, our heroes will be able to seal away the greatest enemy of all.

As the song picked up pace, so did the beautiful dancers. Not a single choreography, all the movements came from their hearts.

The villagers sang loudly along with the lovely musicians. Laughter, clapping, stomping filled in the once silent air.

As the song reached the end, the crowd paid their respects in the form of rupees. A rain of greens, reds, blues and purples descended towards the bard's feet. The hat that sat on the ground wasn't enough to pick up the shower of rupees. The audience slowly dispersed so they could return to their daily routines.

A singular golden rupee was dropped. It stood out like a sore thumb amongst the pile.

(Y/N)'s eyes were wide in shock as they noticed the incredibly valuable piece that fell into their hat. Wanting to see who it was, they saw a cloaked figure walking away from the crowd towards a brown horse.

"Thank you!", they called out.

The hooded stranger turned around to face the bard and gave them a curt nod with a gentle smile. Hopping onto the horse and galloping away, the bard couldn't look away as they took notice of the items strapped to the stranger's back.

A Hylian Shield and the unmistakable Master Sword.

A/N: I'm new to this specific style of writing so I hope it wasn't too bad! I'm currently fixated on BOTW and I couldn't help myself even though I have another book in progress. Whoops!

Please vote, comment and follow!