Chapter 61

Jennie

We load into her car. I feel dirty in my old clothes, swearing I can smell cigarette smoke in the fabric.

That's real attractive, I think sarcastically. And the heels hurt my already sore feet - I usually avoid the things if I can help it.

But alas, there's nothing I can do about it now. I hope Rosé brings me something more comfy for tonight. I still haven't told Lisa she's coming over... or that I'm coming to dinner. Oh dear. I get nervous at the thought.

"I'll take you to pick up your car after the movie," Lisa offers. I quickly nod.

"Okay." A silence settles between us. It's not uncomfortable. It's not comfortable. It just... is. And I don't like it. "Tell me something about yourself," I prompt.

Lisa glances at me. "What do you want to know?"

"I don't know. Anything." I shrug. "I feel like I don't know anything about you." She shifts in her seat, appearing uncomfortable. I decide to start her off light. "What's your favourite colour?"

She looks at me questioningly. "Um, yellow, I guess."

"Great. What's your favourite movie?"

She thinks about it. "I don't think I have one," she eventually admits.

"What? How can you not have one?"

"I don't watch many movies."

"Well surely there are some you like."

"I haven't really thought about which one's my favourite."

"Well think about it now," I huff teasingly. She smiles at my manner.

"Too hard, sorry," she says, but she doesn't really look sorry. "I always liked The Pianist."

"The Pianist? Haven't seen it," I admit.

"Really? We should rent it. It's about a Jewish pianist who struggles to survive in World War II."

"Sounds sad."

"It is."

"I don't like sad movies."

Stopped at a red light, she looks at me. "Then what movies do you like, Ms. Kim?"

It takes me only a second to respond. "There are lots of them. Some people think some of them are stupid but, hell, they're entertaining. They make me laugh." I glance over; Lisa's eyes are trained on the road again, yet they flicker quickly to meet mine.

"Name some," she prompts.

"Super Troopers. Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Old School. The Big Lebowski."

Lisa grins. "You like The Big Lebowski?"

"The Big Lebowski owns me," I confess.

"I never realized that movie attracted the ladies."

"Have you seen it?"

"Pieces."

"What? Pieces? You mean to say you've never watched the whole movie? All right, stop the car right now," I shout. Lisa looks puzzled. "Are you listening to me? Turn around!"

"But what about the movie?"

"We're renting The Big Lebowski. It's a tragedy that you haven't already seen it. Luckily, I have the means to correct this little blasphemy."

"But--" Lisa looks torn. I'm taking away her control, just bossing her around like I own the day. I'm sure she doesn't know what to think.

I'm all keyed up now, drunk on my miniscule bit of power. "No buts. Now turn this thing around before I come over the console."

Lisa seems uncertain. Then, my threat registering, she grins. "Come over the console, huh?"

I giggle and roll my eyes. "Perv. Where's the nearest movie place?"

"I don't know," she says innocently. "I think I may have forgotten..."

I narrow my eyes at her. "If you value your life you'll soon remember," I threaten.

"Or what? More coming over the console?"

"Why haven't you turned around yet?"

"There's traffic, Jennie! I can't just whip out in front of everyone."

"You're worse than my grandma, I swear. Just wedge out and everyone will stop."

"Are you crazy?"

"Crazy for The Big Lebowski. Look, an opening! Go, go, go!!!" Lisa sits there looking utterly bemused.

The opening comes and goes, the opportunity waving as it kicks dust in our faces. "What are you doing?" I cry.

"Jennie," Lisa says calmly, as though she's addressing a child, "I'm not going to get killed over The Big Lebowski."

"Well, just so we're clear, if there's ever a movie worth dying over it's that one."

"Is that right?"

"Absolutely."

"So does this mean you'll watch The Pianist?"

"What? No."

"Hey, I'm watching The Big Lebowski..."

"I told you I don't like sad movies," I protest.

"But it's a good movie."

"Will you rub my back?"

Lisa looks at me curiously. "Seriously?"

I reach behind and rub my shoulder for effect, scrunching my nose to emphasize its soreness. "It hurts," I pout. So do my feet - perhaps I can get those rubbed as well.

She takes a deep breath, her eyes briefly meeting mine. They're so deep, so intense. So full of... something. They capture my gaze, puncturing my defences from the inside-out. I feel raw and exposed while in their rapture.

Biting my lip, I look away. Lisa gives a small sigh, the sound barely heard in the confines of the car. "You'll watch The Pianist?"

I nod, because I will. I would've done it anyway, probably, just to gain an understanding of one of her favourite movies, but at least this way I'll get a freebie out of it. I can't help but be surprised again and again at my own level of genius.