Chapter 77

Lisa

Fifteen minutes later, I'm standing in front of the door to her apartment. Everything is quiet, ominous. Not a soul stirs on either end of the hallway. I can't abate the pounding of my heart as I reach forward and knock.

I wait a moment, but there's no answer. I knock a little harder and wonder if she's gone to bed. It's only been fifteen minutes since her phone call.

Is she even here? Perhaps she called me from somewhere else. The thought provokes a mingled feeling of relief and disappointment. And then the door swings opens. Jennie stands there in her pyjamas, her hair dishevelled, her eyes red and swollen. It's obvious she's been crying. She looks surprised to see me.

"What are you doing here?" Her voice is uneven.

I falter. What am I doing here? Uneasily, I say, "I got your message. You sounded upset."

She shifts to one foot and crosses her arms, looking anywhere but at me. "Yeah, well... that movie was really sad."

"I'm sorry. I didn't even know you had it..."

Then she breaks down. Silent tears begin to pour down her cheeks. She wipes her face hastily but is unable to stop the flow.

In an instant, I'm at her side and she's in my arms. "Jennie, what's wrong?" I ask, concerned. She wraps her arms around me, hugging tightly, and sobs against my chest. She feels so good against me, so warm and soft and just... right.

"I just... I can't... I just feel so emotional right now, Lisa. Everything is just a mess."

"Shh, Jennie. It's okay. Will you tell me about it?" I coax softly.

"I don't think so... not tonight," she says uncertainly. "I don't feel like talking about it."

"Okay, well, whenever you're ready then. Were you sleeping?"

"I was trying," she sniffs. "I couldn't sleep, though. I started watching more TV on the couch."

"Come on." I guide her towards the couch. The entire apartment is dark save for the dim light of the TV. There's a large blanket on the couch, which she pulls back before sitting down in front of me, her hand lightly clasping mine as I stand over her.

She gives my hand a little tug. "Are you going to sit?" she asks. She pulls the cover back further, inviting me in, and I slide in beside her. She tucks herself into my side. "You could have called me," she hedges.

"I know. I thought about it all day. I just-- I wanted to think about things," I try to explain.

"Oh." Her voice sounds small. Fuck. I should have just called her.

"Here." I gently push her shoulders, urging her to lie back, and I kick off my shoes before lying at her side on the couch. Her back is flush against my chest, her hair at my nose. I have no idea what's going on. I'm torn; it's like my body is pulling me in two different directions, each half wanting something different. One half is scared shitless-the other is aching to be closer, yearning for more.

Suddenly, Jennie twists around to face me. I sigh in contentment as I pull her closer, kissing her forehead, her tear-stained cheeks, and finally her lips, our mouths drawn together like a magnetic force more powerful than us both. The kisses are soft, innocent, and promising. I want to erase everything I've done to her.

I rest my forehead against hers, and a minute of silence passes this way.

"I don't know why I like you so much," she finally whispers into the night. I can feel her breath against my cheek, the heat absorbing into my skin as her words are absorbed into my mind.

"I don't know why you do either," I finally whisper in reply. I expect her to ask me what the hell I mean-why on earth would I think this way-but surprisingly, she remains silent.

"Lisa?"

"Hmm?"

"Why did you really come over?"

It doesn't take me long to figure out the answer. "Because I really like you, too." I pull her even closer and she seems to melt against me as she relaxes.

Several minutes pass in a comfortable silence. I can't remember ever feeling as content as I do now.

"Jennie?" I whisper, wondering if she's fallen asleep.

"Hm?"

"Have you... is anyone else... taking you to the wedding?"

I feel her tense slightly in my arms, but she doesn't stir. "No," she mumbles against my chest. I can't deny the overwhelming sense of relief I feel.

"Would you... still want to go with me?"

She shifts against me, leaning back a bit to see my face. "Do you want to go with me?" she asks cautiously.

"Yes. I mean, if you still want me to."

She gives a small nod with a half-smile. I feel like I'm soaring. "Okay."