Kanae Kocho

winter cold withdrew,

a ray of sunshine broke through,

and a flower bloomed

The three Kasugai crows flapped through the gentle night winds. Y/N's crow was complaining, "L/N is always so rude to me. I swear, that guy has no understanding of crow manners!"

Kyojuro's sighed, "I think you're the one that needs to learn manners."

"Huh?! Watch your mouth, buddy!"

"I would never talk bad about Rengoku... I have no idea how L/N could ever put up with you."

"How could you say such things about me?! We just met!"

Kyojuro's crow shook its head and turned to the third crow, asking, "What about you? What's your Demon Slayer like?"

The third crow said, "She is kind and gentle... Like no human I've ever seen. She even forgave me for accidentally breaking a vase once. Her name is... Kanae Kocho."

~~~~~~~~~~

Kanae slid down the rope in the well. Earlier, she found the escaping villagers and asked what was going on. Seeing her uniform, they told her where her fellow Demon Slayers went and she hurried there.

She searched around the dark and dank bottom of the well before finding what felt like a large wooden door. She stepped in before gracefully sliding down the tunnel. At first, she just balanced through instincts and luck, but eventually she saw a faint amber glow in the distance and followed that.

The rock demon chuckled to himself as he fiddled with some loose debris from his earlier fight. He said, "My gut was right. Those two kids were nothing to worry about. Nothing more than beginner's luck." He stretched. "Maybe I'll go watch one of their battles... Hm. But I wonder which one?"

"What are you talking about?"

The demon jumped. A young girl with a gentle smile was standing in front of him. "H-how? I didn't hear a thing..."

Kanae tilted her head and said, "Well, that's a shame. I didn't want to scare you."

The demon growled and got in a fighting stance. "Stop taunting me and let's fight."

"Taunting you? I would never do such a thing." She took a step forward and said, "All I want to know is the location of my fellow Demon Slayers in this cave."

"I'll never tell you! They're probably dead already anyway!" The demon charged at her.

Kanae sighed, "Too bad... I was really hoping you could be friendly and help me out."

She pulled out her light pink sword and jumped over the demon, who crashed into the wall. He roared and punched at her again. But she dodged and it hit the wall. This continued for much longer than the demon could handle. Eventually, he screamed, "I'll kill you!"

Kanae held onto a handhold in the wall. As she observed the demon close in on her, she noticed that he had less rocky covering then before. She murmured, "Just like I thought. With each attack, more of those rocks fall off his body." She jumped out of the way as the demon sprinted at her. She flipped over him as he headbutted the wall. Kanae's eyes locked onto his neck as the few rocks protecting it crumbled off.

But now that the rocks were falling off, the demon was faster. He leapt at her with a wild flurry of punches. A few of them nearly scraped Kanae, but she was able to slide between his legs. The demon shouted, "Stop running away and fight! Attack me, dammit!"