Chapter 1

My eyes blinked open, taking in the blurry scene before me. A doctor steps into view, jotting down notes, "Step forward." I don't know why, but I listen to him and walk towards him. He walks around me as I stand still, studying me. 

"Good, good. Use your quirk for me, will ya?" I understand what he wants, but I don't know how to carry out his command. Something feels unnatural about using a quirk. "Well?" I stared blankly at the doctor. "You do know what a quirk is, don't you?" I nodded stiffly, where am I? Who am I?

"Hmm, do you know how to use a quirk?" I shook my head and realized for the first time that I was sitting. "Your base must've been quirkless, then... You'll need training."

Quirkless Deku!

What? I blink in surprise and tune back in with the doctor's ranting about quirks. I listen in, interested in just how complex and unique different quirks are. I look down and stare blankly at the shorts and blue shirt I'm wearing. I try getting up, my legs feel like rubber.

"Antsy, are we now?" I look up and stare blankly before nodding. "Can you talk?" I shrug, not at all interested in that aspect of myself. I didn't have much to say, anyways. The doctor takes me by the arm and walks me out. "My, you feel like glass. Well, the solid part of you, anyway, otherwise you feel like mist." I stare at my arms, green and black wisps of smoke and mist surround my body. 

The doctor curiously pats the top of my head and then bursts into laughter, "It's like touching cotton candy! Hah! And you're supposed to be a killing machine, little nomu!" I don't like the sound of that, and I don't like the way he patted me and is leading me about.

Stupid Deku, you can't be a hero!

I blink in response just as we walk through a huge entrance. The room is dark, and there's a dark man sitting on what looks like a throne. I can't help but feel the terrifying aura around him, but I don't feel afraid. If anything, I feel curious. "Ah, is this the new one?"

The man takes my chin in his hand and examines me, seemingly pleased. "Yes, and he seems much more... advanced. He's much more sentient from what I've observed, like Kurogiri. His base was quirkless, however, so he'll require training. He seems to also lack the need to communicate verbally." The man's hand tightens on my face and I feel like a glass figure about to be shattered.

"Speak, nomu." I open my mouth, "Hello." I close my mouth and silence stretches on, making it painfully obvious that I wasn't going to say anything else. The hand slowly lets go, "You did well. Take him away to Kurogiri. He'll be named Kuro, a cute little name for this little nomu." The name doesn't feel right, but I don't argue. 

I hate how off-putting this all feels. 

The doctor leads me to a closet littered with boxes of old clothes. "Until your uniform comes in, Shigaraki's old clothes will have to do. Take your pick." I walk forward and look around, taking some shorts and a bright red shirt. The color just feels natural, and a strange attachment to it lingers in my head.

Shit, c'mon, nerd! Don't you DARE die on me! Fuck, you wanted to be a hero, right?!

I put on the items I chose and stand up. "That's it?" I nod. "Suit yourself. Come along, now. You'll be staying with Kurogiri." A man behind a bar looks up in surprise and I stare back, taking him in. He's foggy, too, black and purple with glowing yellow eyes. I wonder what my eyes look like. 

I glance at a mirror hanging on a wall and stare, puffed up 'hair' and turquoise round eyes stare back at me. I imagine freckles and bright green emerald eyes with a big smile, I grin at the mirror but the only thing that 'smiles' are my round, wispy eyes.

"Kurogiri, you are to watch over and train Kuro here." Kurogiri nods, "I will do my best." The doctor leaves us alone and I walk up to him. He hands me a rag, "Help me clean." I nod and wipe down the bar stools, I didn't really mind the chore. 

Besides, Kurogiri wasn't like the doctor or the man. I look up at him in question, "Who are these people?" Kurogiri looks at me in surprise, "Well, you met the doctor. He's used to carry out experiments and research for our master, AFO." I nod and continue cleaning.

Maybe one day I'll understand what's going on and who's voice that is.