All is fair in Love and War

The night was calm and serein. Everyone was on their beds, warmly tucked in for a peaceful slumber yet there were few who were wide awake responding to the calls of the duty. Early in the morning at 2:00 am, in one of the operation theatres stood two surgeons and four nurses performing a really critical surgery. The surgery has been going on for hours as the surgeon operating kept himself busy with the operation while the other one assisted the former so as to keep check in case of emergency. It was a rule. It was the rule for the hospital to have two surgeons at once for an emergency or critical surgery. One who would attend would be the trauma surgeon and the other one who was the intial attending surgeon to assist but also was a standby in case of emergency. The nurses performed deligently as the attending surgeon instructs thereby making no rooms for slightest mishappening.

It was after an hour, did the doors of the operation room opened and the two surgeons walked out. They discarded their gloves and surgeon suit as they walked up to the attached restroom to clean up. The surgeons walked out congratulating each other for the success of the critical surgery as the assisting surgeon patted and praised the attending surgeon. Walking out to the corridors, the surgeons smiled to see a person on the chair dozing off. The smile on the face of attending trauma surgeon was wide despite the tiredness he felt after surgery.

"I will be going Yang Zhen. Take care of yourself and him too. Have rest, both of you." The assisting surgeon left as Yang Zhen smiled at him. Yang Zhen looked back at figure on the chair and his eyes soften. If this is gonna continue he might burst out of love. The love that keeps increasing in his blood as if he has been taking some love shots. As a trauma surgeon, Yang Zhen never had time to enjoy his love life. His profession required him to stay active 24x7 with very minimal holidays so as to perform immediate or critical surgeries. Despite the age of 30, Yang Zhen has received a lot of recognition in his field making it difficult for him to have a life of his own. He was contended but now looking at the dozing figure on the chair, he wanted to have a life of his own. A love life.

Being a son of a regiment medical officer, Yang Zhen has spent most of the time with his mother. He has witnessed her feeling lonely, missing his husband dearly and sometimes even crying. He did not wish that. He had a brother. Elder to him. But the latter was the same as his father. Yang Kang has always aspired to serve the nation. Like his father, he too went to army schools to train and discipline. His brother left for the military medical training soon after his school leaving a gullible Yang Zhen and his mother to themselves. Yang Zhen never understood. Never understood the choices of his brother. He was very proud of both his fathet and brother yet he cannot fathom the fact that he and his mother was left behind. Call him selfish. Only a family of a military man knows the longing, the fear they go everyday.

Yang Zhen have always been like this. With higher emotional and empathy quotient. He didn't have the heart to part with his mother so he decided to carry on the family legacy but live the normal life one can live. Without fears. He pledged to live on like that when his father passed away while serving the nation as the tension at borders led to various bomb blasts. He didn't get time to even grieve. He had his mother to handle who was broken beyond repair. No amount of words or solace would bring her back and like a dutiful wife, she followed his husband, leaving the emotionally wrecked Yang Zhen behind. Yang Kang was there for him yet because of his duties, Yang Zhen was left alone. That time Yang Zhen realised to never make someone go through the emotional turmoil one lives with but lead a normal life. He lived up to it till now.

Sitting beside the drooling (if one notices closely) and dozing figure, Yang Zhen supported the head of the person who he have come to love. Isn't this feeling amazing? Having the person he loves by his side with no fears or longing. Just pure contentment. Gu Wei, the person who had successfully made his way in his heart after a courting period of four months. It would be a lie to say four months as Yang Zhen has already liked him in their first meeting.