Chapter 9

Rules are made to be broken...right?

Chapter 9
***

The clang of a bell rattled through the dark, signalling food was being served in the hall. I ignored it, happy to finish lighting the torches outside to avoid having to deal with the crush of wolves vying for food. Younger wolves spent too much time snapping at each other to decide who would eat first and I was in no mood to listen. A dark cloud hovered over my head as I watched the wrought iron cage filled with logs and sprigs of hay crackle to brilliant life.

I tossed in the taper I’d used, and peered down at myself, lit in an orange glow, with a slight frown. Ash smeared my blue dress in various shades of black and grey. It covered my hands too, and if some hadn’t found it’s way to my face as well, I would be surprised. Spending my time before the evening meal lighting fires wasn’t exactly exciting, but it gave me the chance to further explore every nook and cranny of my new home; at least within the boundaries set. It was an easy task, and nobody bothered me except to ask for their own rooms to be ready and warm for their return.

I didn’t mind that that was the extent of my interaction with the pack today, I told myself again. If I really wanted to make friends, I’d approach the groups of single, unmated wolves despite the way they looked at me. Alone completing menial chores in between visiting Father, watching the pups in my family, and helping Astrid, was exactly where I was happiest.

Heading for the barrel of water in the corner of the South facing courtyard, I did my best to clean my hands. The water was icy cold and stung my skin, and my gasp drew the attention of the only other wolves outside missing a meal. Two hulking males stood sentry at the gate, but once they’d acknowledged my presence with glowing eyes, they were unconcerned with whatever I was doing.

The gates beckoned me in the dark. My body rocked forward as the wind urged me forward. It would be easy to shift and run out before the guards could think to chase after me. But it was their very presence that held me back too, more so than any order to remain. The realisation that it was fear that kept me rooted made my mouth fill with a sour taste. The nightmares that broke sweet dreams flashed to vivid and bloody life, reminding me of the dangers roaming the trees beyond the castle walls.

I took a slow step back.

I’d heard whispers from returning patrols too, telling of more Blood Drinkers showing up near the territory boundary. Nobody seemed quite sure why. Of course, they never got past the huge number of intimidating warriors that scouted every inch of the forest, but it only took one slipping past to unleash terror. . .

With fear twisting at my gut and my eyes playing tricks with the shadows, turning them into monstrous shapes leering out from the dark, I turned tail and darted for the safety of inside. I felt no better leaving the chill evening air for the stuffy interior of the castle. Each step that took me deeper seemed to further drive an invisible force down on me. My head ducked, my shoulders hunched in, and I moved through the echoing halls with a resentful scowl.

I hesitated at the door that led to the food hall, closing my eyes to try and pick out a voice I recognised so I wouldn’t be stuck looking for a friendly face in full view of everyone. Once I was certain I caught onto my mother’s timbre, I shook myself and entered. Mother and Oighrig sensed my approach immediately but it didn’t stop them from continuing to converse with those around them. Fionnlagh sat opposite them, so engaged in his own conversation that he didn’t even look round as I sat next to him.

“Here, Eabha.” Mother placed a wooden plate in front of me and motioned to all the various meat and vegetables on offer. Then her dark eyes focussed on my face. Uncaring of her watching friends, she licked her thumb and leaned across the table to scrub at my face.