an impromptu sleepover

Hunter sat on the floor of the Owl House, his brain foggy and tired. He stared up at the blank ceiling, thoughts of sleep plaguing him. Sometimes he thought he'd forgotten how to go to sleep. But, alas, he always managed to blackout late into the night. Needless to say, he was not a master at predicting when he would sleep and if he would be able to.

He couldn't even pester the human tonight since she was busy with her girlfriend. At least when Amity wasn't around, the boy would have someone to talk to on these late nights.

He settled for roaming around the Owl House instead. No one was awake except for Amity and Luz. Even so, he wasn't sure they were fully aware of just how late it was.

Hunter made his way down the stairs and was met with a rather creepy and completely empty living room. He'd never seen the Owl House this quiet. It was unsettling.

He went back upstairs, making  mental note to avoid the dark and desolate first floor at night.

A noise from downstairs interrupted his groggy train of thought.

"Hooooooooooot! Amity! You have a visitorrrrr!" Fantastic. The owl tube... thing... was awake. At least it sounded like Amity would be leaving now.

He listened as the youngest Blight went downstairs, moving to the top of the steps to eavesdrop.

"Come on, Ed! Why can't I stay the night?" He heard the Blight arguing with someone outside.

"I don't make the rules, Mittens. If you want to argue with mom, go right ahead."

Mom, huh?

Hunter concluded that Amity was probably talking to her brother. One of the twins. Excellent critical thinking skills over here.

"Tell her I'm working on a project with Boscha or something! You can even stay too!" Amity argued.

"Bribery, I see. Very well, I accept your offer. I'm not telling her though," the green haired boy- Edric- said with a cocky smirk.

Dammit. Another person to deal with?

Hunter gave up on.. existence in general and retreated back to his room.

He laid on the floor as the three continued their conversation downstairs. Mostly squeals of joy as Odalia confirmed the "project" was allowed.

Not that Hunter had the willpower to care currently. He could feel himself drifting off as he set his head on the floor. Next thing he knew, he was asleep... on the floor.

- - -

"Hey, uh... Luz?" Edric said as he wandered into a random room of the Owl House. This particular room happened to have a tired looking boy either dead or asleep on the floor.

"Yeah?" She saw Hunter's corpse. "Oh. Right, you haven't met Hunter yet."

"The dead body has a name."

"He's not dead. He's just asleep."

"Looks dead to me."

Luz gave him a nervous look. Edric chuckled to himself and checked Hunter's pulse. Sure enough, the boy was not dead.

"Want me to wake him up?" He asked.

"Nah, he needs the sleep. Just... ya know" Luz made a strange gesture that was suppose to indicate Edric to pick the blond up.

Edric hesitantly scooped Hunter off the floor as Luz gave him a thumbs up.

"Sweet. Just set him on the bed and... make sure he doesn't die!" Luz exited the room before poking her head back in. "Oh, and give him the little pink frog stuffed animal- I promise it's the most wholesome thing you will ever see."

And so, Edric was left alone with a basically lifeless body and very vague instructions.

He shrugged to himself and laid Hunter on the bed in the room... causing the previously lifeless body to wake up.

"Oh! Hey," Edric smiled. Hunter only stared, still half asleep. Needless to say, he was confused as to why the pretty Blight boy was suddenly in his room.

"Why... here?" Was all Hunter managed to say in his sleep deprived state.

"Ah, I was wandering around the Owl House and you were asleep on the floor. I thought you were dead, but apparently not."

"I wish I were at this point," he commented, mostly as a joke.

Edric did not take this as a joke.

"Alright, spill your life story please."

"No."

"Why?"

"Stranger danger."

"I'll tell Luz."

"Rude."

Hunter proceeded to explain to Edric how he had been unable to sleep well for most of his life (leaving out many important details about his life in the process). Edric sat and listened like Luz had weeks ago when he first got to the Owl House.

It was comforting to talk to someone again. Hunter loved Luz of course, but she had a life outside of Hunter's constant internal turmoil.

"Interesting, Blondie. My advice, get some fucking sleep you walking zombie."

"As if I haven't tried."

"Maybe you just need some encouragement!"

"Encouragement?" The blond questioned.

"Yeah! Whenever I can't sleep I usually drink something warm and get a bunch of blankets and watch cartoons until I fall asleep!"

"That sounds.. pleasant."

And so, the two made hot chocolate in the dead of night. Hunter even fed a marshmallow to Edric at one point (which may or may not have left him blushing for five solid minutes. Not that you could tell... it was dark, after all).

After that was done, the boys retreated to Hunter's room, both giggling gay messes.

"You're strangely endearing, Blight," Hunter smiled as the two gathered as many blankets as they could get their hands on.

"Thank you. I pride myself on my unmatched charm," Edric smirked and poked Hunter on the nose, leaving the boy blushing in the faint moonlight. Oh, Titan, Edric was falling hard. For a blond, no less.

They crafted blankets and pillows into a nest on Hunter's bed. Edric collapsed into the sea of pure fluff (aka what this is about to turn into).

"Come on, Blondie! The cocoon is waiting for our resident insomniac."

Hunter felt his face flush slightly as he sat next to Edric. He tried to leave space between them, but that was difficult since the bed wasn't large by any means.

Edric handed Hunter a mug of hot chocolate from a table beside him.

The two nestled into the blanket nest, talking about everything and nothing. Their lives, dumb parental expectations, even their favorite cartoons. Edric was shocked to hear that Hunter had never seen Steven Universe and insisted they watch it. Hunter gave in upon seeing how excited the show made Edric seem.

Around episode four, Hunter felt his eyes getting heavy. The two had moved closer together to see the crystal ball, and now Hunter was drifting off while curled up against the Blight.

"Goodnight, Blondie," he heard Edric mutter before he fell asleep.

Edric grabbed the Sprig plushie that had been lying near one of the many pillows and slipped it into Hunter's hands as he slept.

Luz was right. It was the most wholesome thing he had ever seen.

readers, it's almost 5 am and I have yet to sleep. one does not simply proof read a fic written in the dead of night.

have a wonderful day/afternoon/night, my weirdos