ten minutes ago

hello, readers!

oh boy it's been a minute. tech week has been kicking my ass but now it's over and my sleep schedule is fucked and I have no sense of purpose, help

BUT tech week also gave me inspiration while I work on a particularly long one shot (it's coming soon :) )

so, here's a theatre au sort of thing. ignore the fact that Hexside probably doesn't have a theatre program and the fact that Cinderella is a human musical, I'm projecting.

final note, labyrinth runners was absolute gold I love hunter and gus and I also savored every moment of edric's screen time because he's probably my favorite character

---

Hunter sat beneath the dim lights of Hexside's theatre, regretting his life choices. Never in a million years did he think he would become a theatre kid, yet here he was.

It had been a few weeks since... everything.

A few weeks since he ran away.

A few weeks since they defeated Belos.

A few weeks since he started attending Hexside.

He could still hear Luz chastising him about making more friends in his year. Sure, he had Willow and Gus, but they were two years younger than he was (Gus was more like four years, but he was practically the same as Willow maturity wise).

Spoiler, joining theatre was not the way for an anxiety ridden outcast to make friends. Especially tech. Being a charismatic actor was one thing, but Hunter was neither of those.

He ended his little internal monologue as the lights went up on stage. Luz had brought some strange human musical called Cinderella and, since it was tech week, he was now watching the same ballroom scene he had watched dozens of times.

The music was far too catchy. The songs had been stuck in his head nonstop all week.

Luckily he didn't have to move anything this scene. He was free to watch Amity and Luz dance around on stage and make fools of themselves.

He glanced around at the other people backstage.

He recognized Viney and the Blight twins, (Titan help the poor ignorant soul who let the twins be on the same side of the stage) but the other people he had barely talked to.

Hunter intended to keep it that way.

He silently watched the ballroom scene play out while the others talked quietly.

"Emmmm that's so mean," Edric whispered to his sister who had just played some dumb prank on him.

"Excuse me, you're mean for not dancing with me," Emira smirked. The twins had taken to dramatically dancing alongside the actors since no one could see them backstage.

"I'll dance with you!" Viney excitedly whispered, taking Emira's hand in her own.

"See at least someone gets it," and so, the two girls imitated the actors, stumbling every second of the way.

And now Edric was bored.

And what does a trouble-inducing teen do when he's bored?

He torments his fellow techies.

The music died down for a moment before swelling again as a new song started.

Ten minutes ago, I saw you.

I looked up when you came through the door.

"Hey. Watcha doing?" Edric whispered to Hunter.

Hunter blinked. "Oh, you know. Regretting life."

Edric laughed. "Me too. May I have a dance?"

Edric held out his hand to the blond. Hunter only stared with a mildly confused expression.

"Why?" He asked.

"Because I've barely talked to you! Besides, it's fun."

"I don't know how to dance."

Edric laughed. "Neither do I."

With that, Edric grabbed the boy's hand and pulled him into a graceless waltz. Music hummed in the air around them as Hunter stopped trying to focus on dancing correctly.

My head started reeling, you gave me the feeling the room had no ceiling nor floor.

Hunter could feel heat creeping onto his face. Luckily it was too dark backstage for anyone to notice. Maybe he had been wrong. Maybe he could finally tell Luz that he had tried (and succeeded?) in making a friend. But friends don't make each other blush like Hunter was, right?

Maybe the Blights just had that kind of charm about them.

---

man that was short but it's like 1 am after closing night and I'm positively dying

thanks for reading and I have another longer oneshot in the works based on 16/04/16 (Jack's Song) by Cavetown!