Three

Six weeks later

"Maya, I have to go to work." Carina moans out.

"No." Maya said, pulling Carina back down onto the bed. Pulling her back into another kiss.

Moaning softly, Carina deepens the kiss.

Maya cupped her cheek.

The brunette pulls away after a moment and tries to get up. "I really need to go to work."

"No." Maya said. "Take the day off." She begged.

Carina shifts slightly and looks at her. "Maya, what's going on?"

"Nothing." Maya said. "I just want to spend the day with you."

Carina smiles softly. "Bella, I cannot just miss work to spend the day with you. No matter how much I want to."

Maya sighed. "Okay." She let Carina go.

Leaning down, Carina kisses her gently. "We both have a day off soon."

Maya nodded. "Yup. I can't wait."

"I'll be home just as you leave for your shift." Carina says softly as she moves to get dressed.

"I'll see you then." Maya said.

Once she was dressed, Carina kissed her. "Ciao Bella." She says before walking off.

"Bye." Maya called after her, sighing as she relaxed against the bed. She hated how hard it was to have time together. She pulled the sheets over her head and closed her eyes.

****

Carina couldn't breathe, she'd just lost one of the babies during delivery. There had been no indication anything was wrong with him. She leaned against the wall and closed her eyes, pressing her hand to her chest.

"Woah, hey what's wrong?" Andrew says, walking up to his sister.

"I lost a bambino, there was a complication and the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck." Carina breathed out, tears in her eyes.

"Hey, it happens, we don't know why, it just does." Andrew said.

"It's not fair." Carina sobs out, looking at her brother. "I got into this career to bring life into this world. Not to tell new mama's their babies didn't make it."

"I know. But it happens. It's something we can't control." Andrew said softly.

The brunette covers her face with her hands and continues to softly cry.

Andrew pulled her into a hug.

Burying her face in her brother's chest, Carina cries for the loss of the baby.

Andrew rubbed her back gently.

After a few minutes, Carina pulls away and wipes her eyes. "Thank you Andrea."

"Always." He responded.

The brunette clears her throat. "I should get back to work."

"I think you need a break, go home." Andrew said.

"I can not just go home. I have patients." Carina responds, looking at her brother.

"At least take a break." Andrew said.

Carina shakes her head. "I have another mama in active labor."

"I'll cover for you until she's dilated enough then I'll page you." Andrew said.

"Are you sure? Do you not have patients?" Carina asks softly.

"It's fine." Andrew said.

Nodding her head, Carina kisses his cheek.