1: A Loving Mother And Her Unlucky Son

Co-authored/edited by Relendria

Haohao," the woman's hoarse voice called weakly.

"Yes, mother?" A young man moved quickly to the side of the bed where the bed-bound woman lay limp. He took her thin hand and pulled it against his cheek. His eyes were loving and a little worried.

Even though she was sick and barely clinging to life, she was still ethereally beautiful. Her naturally golden hair was like candle light spilling across the pillow. Her eyes were the beautiful blue of a summer sky. Her complexion had always been fair but now that she was close to death, it was almost translucent. She had avoided the yellow pallor that plagued most dying people and instead had become like a refined gem - the most beautiful version of herself.

She parted her soft, pink lips and managed a loving smile. When she had been stronger and full of vitality her smile was enough to make one believe the heavens smiled with her. This smile, however, was filled with as much sorrow as love - for this was not a joyous day but a day destined to bring grief.

"Hmm, my son," she whispered with great effort.

"Yes, mother?" No sign of the pain in his heart showed on his face but his mother could see the love in his eyes that he showed very few people.

"Mother has a request to make of you. Your mother cannot accompany you any longer and knows that his Imperial Majesty may try to be rid of you - please, my son, no longer try to please him. Just stay safe. Hide, flee, whatever you must do but for the sake of your mother's love for you, live and live well." It took much effort and time for her to make this request and the boy listened to her wispy voice intently.

"Yes, Mother," the boy assured her instantly. "Hoahoa shall protect himself and he will not seek father's attention again."

Guang Chia-Hao's words were filled with sincerity and determination. The woman's smile relaxed and showed relief. It was as though the heavens were telling her there was no need to worry - that her foolish son has finally grown up. She no longer needed to be anxious every waking second that her sweet, innocent, earnest son would offend the wrong person with his brutally honest observations and desire to gain affection. Somehow, when she wasn't looking, her son had gained wisdom, but that didn't make it any easier to let go. Railing against the unfairness of her impending death served no purpose but she couldn't help but regret that she would miss out on so much of her son's life; his first love, first kiss, his children - there was too much to look forward to for her not to mourn the loss of those moments.

Looking at him, she could tell that he was feeling sorrow and loss already. His face was expressionless to others, but how could she not see the pain lurking in his eyes and hear the undertone of grief in his calm voice?

"Haohao, Mother is sad that she must leave you so early. You are only 15 years old - just beginning to attain wisdom - but Mother cannot accompany you further on your journey. Mother regrets that she is too weak and cannot protect you," the woman said with a tender smile. "Mother is also sorry she cannot see you marry a wife, bring her grandchildren, and witness the fine man she knows you will be. She wishes you to know, however, that you will always be loved. Mother will watch over you from the heavens and cry when you cry and laugh when you laugh. You are Mother's treasure and Mother has never regretted that you came into her life. Be well, my son. Be happy and Mother will be happy as well."

She huffed out a nearly silent laugh at the absurdity that it took her being on her deathbed for her foolish son to wise up but she rejoiced that he had gained wisdom before she departed this world.

"Haohao," she whispered so quietly that he had to bend closer to hear the words. "Grow and become whatever you want to be. Become the great man that Mother has always known you would be."

Her eyes closed after those words and her breathing grew quieter. Soon, she breathed out more than she breathed in and then... she breathed no more.

Two lines of tears trickled down Guang Chia-Hao's cheeks as the hand he held lost its warmth. It hurt just as much in this life as it had in the first life to lose his mother. The difference, though, was that this time he was by her side and was able to hear her final words of love to him. He was able to reassure her that he would be well so that she could pass peacefully. He was able to see her loving smile one last time. Even though she had regrets she had smiled to leave him one last happy memory. Guang Chia-Hao sobbed silently as he bid farewell to his mother.

When it seemed as though everyone wished for his death, his mother had truly loved him. Even though he wasn't a talented son who could bring her honour and no matter how hard he had tried to impress the Emperor the man had only looked at him with disdain, his mother had loved him unconditionally. She had always bestowed her lovely smile on him and never once showed the slightest irritation at her useless son. In fact, she had sacrificed everything for him; wealth, health, and even the Emperor's favour - just to give birth to and raise him. Many said his birth was a curse - that he stole his mothers vitality, he stole the Emperor's love, and wasn't even a useful child in return. Some even cursed his name, calling him bad luck.

His mother had retorted: "If my son is bad luck then I'm a bad omen!" After a while the other concubines no longer visited her place because she tolerated no criticism of her son. She had even scolded the Emperor on several occasions for Guang Chia-Hao. If the Emperor hated her son then he should hate her too, she had informed the most powerful man in the land. The Emperor had loved Guang Chia-Hao's mother and only saw her as his world but his world rejected him in favour of her defective son. As a result, the consort who had once lived lavishly with riches, had been sent to pass her days in a desolate and abandoned cold palace. The Emperor waited for her to beg her forgiveness but she refused to bend where her child was concerned.

Guang Chia-Hao gently placed her now cold hand upon her stomach and stood, wiping his tears dry. His mother was now at peace but his struggle was just beginning. He was glad his mother died before knowing the cruel fate the Emperor had planned for him.

Soon the Emperor would send for him and inform him to join the Zhong army at the front of their battle against the predatory Zhuang nation. The Emperor wished for him to die on the battlefield but Guang Chia-Hao would not allow that. He will fulfil his mother's wish and survive.