3: Empress Mother

Edited/co-authered by Relendria

Eighth Prince Chapter 3

No words; no hate, no love, nothing at all? He had at least expected her to leave some angry words for him but instead there was nothing?!?

The Emperor couldn't hold it anymore.

"Hmp! The Zhuang army has invaded the territory of our great Zhong. As a prince you must go and defend your country!"

The Emperor's words were snarled with bitterness and aggression. Guang Chia-Hao wasn't surprised. In his past life, the Emperor had done the exact same thing. At that time, he had thought it was an opportunity to please his father and finally earn some affection but sadly, it only led to his death several years later.

"Yes, Your Imperial Majesty," Guang Chia-Hao agreed in a tone that conveyed no emotion at all. There was no trace of joy, fear, anger, or sorrow. The Emperor frowned, feeling like he had just punched cotton.

"You will leave in 2 days," the Emperor added in an effort to evoke a response from Chia-Hao.

Guang Chia-Hao nodded silently and without complaint. He would rather be on the front lines of battle than in this palace anyway. Since his mother was already gone, there was nothing keeping him here.

After being dismissed by the Emperor, he walked out and easily noticed the not-so-well hidden disdainful glances and vicious mutters of the people around him. Unlike the first life, he wasn't ignorant of their dislike. But still he had difficulty understanding their hatred of him when he has done nothing to them.

Immediately after leaving, Guang Chia-Hao walked the palace paths for nearly 30 minutes to reach the Huang palace where the Empress lived.

Unlike everyone else, the Empress didn't have any disdain towards him. Rather than hating him, she has always loved him as if he were her own. She was the reason why he and his mother didn't completely suffer and when he was a child, he had followed her from time to time. She didn't find his odd behaviour repulsive or annoying. Yes, sometimes when she had to answer every single question and give reasons behind it got a little troubling for her, (after all, not everyone can always tolerate many questions as his curious little mind could produce) but Guang Chia-Hao's peculiar actions and behaviour interested her enough that she enjoyed his visits. Before she knew it, she found she understood what his mother loved so much about him.

The Empress frowned slightly upon learning of his visit. This was the first time he had visited her since the death of his mother and she was feeling a little hurt by his neglect. She was in no regards close to the consort, nor did she favour Guang Chia-Hao because of her, rather, she had taken to him naturally - as though he was her own child and maybe more.

"Empress Mother," Guang Chia-Hao said in a voice filled with steady maturity.

The Empress was taken aback by the new manner of speech but then she understood all too well. Guang Chia-Hao loved his mother dearly and her death had clearly spurred him into a maturity he had lacked before.

"Chia-Hao, Empress Mother is sorry she cannot protect you," the Empress said, immediately expressing her grief.

The Empress had fought with the Emperor on the behalf of Guang Chia-Hao but lost to the Emperor's irrational hatred for the child. The Empress could only grieve for him - only 15 and he was being sent to the battlefield...

"Empre - no, Mother," Chia-Hao corrected his term immediately. "No need to feel at loss. Chia-Hao must grow up some day. He must protect himself at some point. Since it is the wish of the Son of the Sun that Chia-Hao go to the battlefield then Chia-Hao will, of course, obey." Guang Chia-Hao's words were steady and calm with no inflection or hesitation.

The Empress fought back tears. The boy who once spoken so softly one could barely hear his words, and sometimes stuttered - faltering over his own words as if his tongue rebelled against them - has now grown to be one who can speak so calmly and sensibly. She was happy for him but also sad because of how it became like this.

The Empress got up off her chair then walked up to Guang Chia-Hao. She stretched out her hand to pat his head but paused folding her fingers into fist. This child was not comfortable with touching. She wasn't sure if she was sad for him or for herself that she could not pat his head in sympathy and comfort.

Guang Chia-Hao noticed her fist and was a bit confused by it. She wasn't being aggressive so he knew she didn't want to hit him. He looked at her calmly, though.

"Chiachia, though this Empress cannot do much, she shall offer you 100 men and two of her shadow guards," she said, blinking back the tears that would only confuse him further. "Please Chiachia; let this Empress Mother make a selfish request of you. You must not die - understand? You must live."

Guang Chia-Hao nodded willingly. How could he do otherwise? This was his desire in addition to his Empress Mother's sincere wishes. He will live, he will grow, and he will one-day marry. He will not die.

"Chiachia won't refuse the Empress Mother. He shall return in victory. Just wait patiently for him, Mother." Chia-Hao knew he wasn't good at reassuring people but he tried.

The Empress's face relaxed at his words and she smiled at Chia-Hao.

"When you return in triumph, I will make sure you get to marry Zhi Nianzu - that is a promise!"

Guang Chia-Hao froze. Even though his expression was as neutral as it always was, you could sense the change in his mood.

"Empress Mother, please do not think this way. I've come to accept that he doesn't love me nor does he want anything to do with me so I will no longer court him," Guang Chia-Hao told her with solemn sincerity.

The Empress frowned in displeasure. It clearly wasn't Guang Chia-Hao she was upset with, but rather her nephew who had thrown away the opportunity of having a man who would love and respect him unconditionally. He wanted a mighty man but most of them are arrogant and saw their wives as nothing more than objects to pleasure themselves; that was the reality of this world.

Guang Chia-Hao, though he was odd, was a kind and lovely soul that would have treasured her nephew.