Chapter 7: A Close Call

A week had passed since they had left Indianapolis. It was a quiet Sunday, and Dustin was scheduled to be transferred to the HMH on Wednesday. He was getting a bit better. His brain readings had shown some promising activity. 

He was getting ready to text El when Karen walked into the room. "Michael, sweetie, we need to talk." 

Mike looked out the window, knowing what she was going to say. "Yeah?" 

"Joyce talked to me. You're not in trouble, Mike."

"Okay." 

"I'm sorry, sweetie. I feel awful that I didn't know. Should I tell," Karen paused, and then said with disguised scorn in her voice, "your father?" 

"No. Please, no. He'd just tell me to man up." 

"Of course. I'm finding you a therapist. And talk to me if you ever feel bad again." 

"You're not mad?" Mike was surprised.  

"Of course not! I'm just sad. I feel like a horrible mother. I-" Karen broke off, sniffling. 

"It's not your fault, Mom. I swear." Mike reassured her. "Thank you for caring." 

"Of course, Mike." Karen smiled. "You can go back to your phone. Speaking of which...you're on it all the time, smiling and blushing. Is there something I should know?" 

"Promise you won't be mad?" 

"No." 

"I accidentally texted this number instead of called when I was doing a prank call, and the person is this girl my age. She's so pretty and nice and...I like her." 

"Does she know?" Karen asked. 

"No. I don't know how to tell her." Mike said. "And I'm afraid that she won't like me back." 

"I understand. But you'll feel better if you tell her." 

"Maybe." Mike thought about it. "She lives in Greenridge...maybe I could ask her to the Snow Ball in December." 

"Good idea!" Karen said, sounding excited. "I hope it goes well." 

"Thanks, Mom." Mike said. 

el 💖🥰

hi
we can talk for awhile
😁😁😁

yay :)))
how is dustin?

idk
he hasn't woken up yet
the doctors say it won't be like waking up in the morning
that it will be slower
but he prob will

oh
ok

yea

he'll be okay

yea 🙂

:)

how r u?
srry for not asking u for a while

it's okay mikey wikey
i'm good :)

...
mikey wikey?
🤨🤨