Chapter 26: Blowing My Cover

*A/N: Hey guys!!! 6 more chapters to go omg!! So next week is Thanksgiving break and I have the week off so hopefully I can post an extra long, juicy chapter next week. Anyways, enjoy the chap loves!*

⚡TW: SLURS⚡

Mike was chilling on a bench outside of Hawkins High School fifteen minutes after school had ended, waiting for Will's mom to pick him up. Will was sitting beside him. It was a warmish Friday afternoon in mid-March, so spring was just about here, and the two of them were going to have a sleepover. 

Mike looked over at Will, who was sketching in his art notebook. "What are you drawing?" he asked. Will looked up, brushing a few strands of hair out of his face (he was growing out his bowl cut). 

Will tilted the notebook so he could see it. Mike looked over it silently. It was a half-finished drawing of everyone together at El's surprise party (minus Will) in an artsy, almost cartoonish style. Mike realized that it was a drawn version of the action shot Will had taken for his Snap and posted on his story, which explained his absence in it. 

"Wow," Mike said softly. "It's amazing." 

"Really?" Will asked, blushing, a shy smile peeking through. 

"Yeah, for sure." 

"The theme of the assignment is 'A happy moment for you', so I chose this because it was one time when we were all together and super happy." Will explained. 

"Aw, Will," Mike said, very flattered. "That's amazing." 

"Thank you," Will's phone chimed. He checked it. "It's my mom. She's gonna be here in fifteen minutes and she says to ask you what you want to have for dinner tonight?"

Mike hated being put in this position. So he said, "I don't really care." 

"Pizza?"

"Yeah, that actually sounds really bomb right now." Mike said, smiling. It was true.

"Do you wanna play Mario Kart?" 

"Dude, seriously? Of course, always!" 

Suddenly two people approached them, arms crossed, sneering. 

James and Evan. 

They'd pretty much leaved Mike alone since the cafeteria showdown, but they were both looking at Will. "Gimme this, you flamer," James said, and before Will or Mike could react, he yanked the notebook from Will's hands. 

"Hey!" Will squeaked, jumping up and trying to grab it back. Will was very short. Only 5'1''. James easily held it out of his reach as Evan shoved him backwards. Will was caught off-guard and fell on his ass, smacking the back of his head on the bench. He crumpled against the metal and softly groaned.

"Give it back." Mike said fiercely. The way Nancy had spoken to Steve when she was really pissed at him that one time. 

"Why are you hanging with this faggot? You sure it isn't going to rub off on you?" Evan said, pulling out his pocket knife.

"Shut up," Mike sneered, stepping between Will and the bullies. He noticed that Will was shaking. "Just shut the fuck up." 

"What are you gonna do about it?" Evan retorted, looking over James's shoulder at the notebook. "Aww, the fag can draw."