03 - Julian Roosevelt

Ever was sitting by the window, observing the sunlight longingly with her hands folded sedately on her book. The light there was never direct since her room faced north, and she found this peaceful. 

A knock came, delicate and refined.

"My lady." Someone called out to her. "May I enter?" 

She smiled at the soothing voice that was as familiar to her as her own.

"Yes, you may, Julian." Ever's voice resembled the morning sunlight, so fresh and clear. 

Julian Roosevelt entered, and it felt like the room lightened even more. His willowy frame walked gracefully at her, dressed in the familiar brown garb of scribes. His midnight hair was tied in a red ribbon; the low ponytail curling around his nape like a lover's caress. His vivid blue eyes blinked in the evening light, the flecks of gold laying within them glittering fantastically. He smiled at her, his wide set lips as fresh as the petals of a blossoming peony. 

"Were you busy, my lady?"

"Well, if slacking was work, I'm positively slaving." She beamed, her eyes cheeky.  

"In that case, would you do me the honor of being my first read?" With a flourish, Julian produced a pristine hardcover copy of a novel, trimmed with golden designs and bound with premium leather. 

Ever tossed away the book she was reading, barely keeping herself from clapping with glee, "Excellent, finally some good news!" She patted the seat, "Come on then, show it to me." 

She made space for him as he sat next to her; their bodies touching. It was a peaceful picture, two best friends sitting close to each other by a window. But if one took a moment to stare at their eyes, they would see that their locked gazes read a different story, a story nobody knew and with God's grace, nobody would ever know. 

Julian handed Ever his newly written novel. She opened it and read the title. 

"'The Bleeding Heart'. Well, that's...new," she tried to find words as Julian chuckled.

"Don't judge the book by its cover, my lady, go on, turn the page,"

"How impatient you are," Ever tutted. "May I inquire what is making you this giddy?"

"I never thought I would be so bold to take such a liberty," Julian said with a soft smile, and gazed into her eyes, "Of naming my protagonist, 'Ever'." 

Ever smiled bashfully, ducking her head. She looked out of the window as if she was waiting for the sun to hit her room. 

The atmosphere of the room changed, jovial no more. 

"You look worried," he said, taking the novel from her hands and placing it on the window seat, "Is it about the regime?" He asked, hundred percent sure that his guess was right. 

"Yes, I've heard they'll be here by the fourth hour in the night," She said, moving a little bit closer to Julian; their hands touching. 

These little touches brought them solace. 

"Are you afraid?" He asked, sighing deeply with tension as if he was the one in trouble. 

"I would be lying if I say I am not." Ever's voice was meek. Julian loathed how this had dimmed her spirit.  

"About what exactly?" 

"About everything," She got up, wringing her hands. She started to pace her room. "All this meeting people I've never seen nor heard, getting married to a stranger for the sake of some ancient rule, being enthroned as the queen." She shivered. "I am not ready for this burden, Julian. I thought I would be by now, but I was mistaken."