Chapter 22: Back To Life

Dixie's POV:

Being in love included a cycle of ups and downs. It included being completely shattered, as well as being put back together with the right person. What people don't tell you is that it's more of a rollercoaster than you would expect. I mean, I definitely didn't know that it took so long to be with the one person you knew you belonged with.

"Aren't you excited!? You're finally getting to go back home. No more hospital." On a better hand, I was clearly getting some exciting news. After almost a month and a half, I was finally getting discharged.

It feels weird though. I got used to the hospital food, and the 24 hour attention I was getting. "I am, trust me I am. It's just a lot to process. I've been here for a while, that's all." I smiled in reply to Noah.

Since he came back, he's been going in between work and the hospital. He's also been bringing me food, and clothes. In other words, he's been everything I could ever want him to be and more.

"That's understandable Ms.Damelio, but you are set to go." The doctor walked in, the discharge papers in her hands. "Of course, you have a check up in two weeks time, and you need to watch how active you are. You can't push herself too hard, so make sure to take things slow. Other than that, you can get back to your normal life. No more hospital."

She smiled as she handed me the papers along with the pen. I stared at them for a while before lifting the pen and writing. It felt surreal to finally be going back to my life. So much has changed since the last time I had complete freedom.

"Alrighty, I'll see you soon Dixie." She flashed me another cheeky smile before exiting the room, leaving Noah and I alone.

"Are you ready to go?" He questioned, grabbing my bags. He's been so good to me. It also felt surreal that we were finally getting a real chance at a life together. Of course we're still taking it slow. It just felt good knowing that no one or nothing was in our way. Well, mostly.

"Yeah I'm ready. You go pull the car around, I'll be out in a minute." He smiled, exiting the room with all of my belongings in his hands.

I examined the room. Or more so, the messy bed, and the black out curtains that I had requested. In a very messed up way, this hospital room became my home. And typically when a person gets discharged, they beam with joy, except I was just scared.

I was scared of going back to my life. Although, could you blame me? The last time I had complete control, I was driving, and I ended up here. Just the thought of being back in a car again made me shake with the anxiety of the 'what ifs'.

But no more, my life was finally restored. I had all the people I wanted, and I could now go to the store, and cook, and maybe even get a good night's sleep in a comfortable bed. Sure what happened to me was tragic, but clearly it's what it took to get me here today.

"Hey." I smiled, sitting in the car. It smelled fresh, like roses. The scenery outside was more beautiful than I remembered. "Hi." He almost whispered, grabbing my hand and joining it with his.

I looked down at our connected hands, smiling at how perfectly they fit together. I know it's cliche, but it's almost as if they were made for each other. A perfect fit.

"This is nice." I looked around, smiling at the free world. You never realize how much time stops when you're in a place such as a hospital. It's draining.

"What would you like to do on your first day out? Want some food?" He questioned as the car began to move. I would be lying if I said it didn't make me nervous. I'm pretty sure the only thing keeping me in the seat was Noah's hand making its mark on my thigh.