6. Feathers

A warm stuffy morning was the absolute worst possibility that Victoria needed. It was the day of the debutante, where each young girl on the scene of the ton would present herself to the Queen and heavens was Victoria anxious.
She still couldn't believe the events of yesternight, she dreamt of his words and woke up in a cold sweat, she could see him with the lights out and she completely hated it. But, a young lady must persevere and so she called for her maids early in the morn and asked for the assistance of her sisters to get her ready.

Her white dress was decorated in pearls and diamonds, but that was about it's only likeable character because the corsetry was intricate and strangling which added copious amounts of stress to her already muddled psyche. She looked pale, maybe even green against the ivory gown and she was worried about the Queen- of course- and her first impressions.

"Stay still or I will smudge your lip stain." Iris said, holding Victoria by the chin as she applied her makeup. "All will be well, sister. I assure you that you look dashing."

"Yes dashing dashing dashing." Ada imitated as she played with her doll figures as she sat on the carpet.

"The carriage will be approaching soon so we must hasten." Iris stated.

"She should be here." Victoria whispered, catching Iris off guard as she pulled her hand away from Victorias face.

"I understand. I encourage you that she is and I can see her right now in your eyes, hopeful and rupturing of beauty."

It was agreed when Victoria and Iris returned home that night that the honourable Lady Danbury would accompany Victoria down the walkway, while she also invested a suitable dowry in Victoria that season. Lady Danbury was a gentile human but it still felt uneven that her mother would not present her to royalty, she was grateful but did not quite feel whole.

"You will be amazing, the brightest star of the ton. I know it." Iris reassured.

They made their way down the stairs to the foyer where their father and Lady Danbury were waiting, her cane tapped on the floor as the laughed at whatever jest their father made. They both turned to the sisters, but both pairs of their eyes laid on Victoria and she could not help but feel suddenly insecure.

"It is a pleasure to see you all again after quite some time." Lady Danbury smiled. "And might I add that young Victoria here may be desirous for this seasons incomparable."

Victoria beamed. "I thank you greatly, Lady Danbury. I will admit that I was beginning to worry for my age, I did not want to mirror myself a spinster." She laughed, and Lady Danbury engaged in the laughter too.

"Surely not, how many years are you?"

"Twenty and three, my lady." Victoria bowed her head.

"Ah, I see." She paused and Victoria's heart sank the littlest amount. "Fear not, you look as though youth has just sprung, dear. We must take our leave so as to not leave the queen waiting."

The family followed Lady Danbury out and entered the convoy of three carriages, all in stunning white - embellished in gold detail. The ride was short and as it went on Victoria could feel her heart race a little faster by the second.
The scene was already packed by the time they arrived, so Victoria bid her goodbyes to her family while they took their place in the hall, and she traveled off with Lady Danbury to take her place in the line of young ladies.
Victoria had the tall feathered headpiece placed on her head and only then did it sink in, that now she must travel no longer, find a suitable suitor, settle down with a family of her own, no more gallivanting in the countryside or to her own art galleries.