Prelude

I heard it's considered bad for teenagers to feel invisible like they just disappear. Well, that's me---Elizabeth McGarrett, known as the Chameleon. I'm luckier than most of you because that is considered cool at my school. If you go unnoticed, it means you are one step closer to being a successful spy.

I go to a school for spies (it's technically a school for exceptional young women or geniuses, not for spies) called the Gallagher Academy (to the outside world, the Gallagher Academy is full of rich spoiled brats their parents sent away). I have been going here for the past year already. The school teaches normal subjects along with advanced encryption, fourteen different languages, cover ops, mixed martial arts, forensic science, and more. All of us Gallagher girls know lip service when we hear it. A good example of it is the big tobacco company telling kids not to smoke. Lip service is where they say they agree with something but they do nothing or change nothing to support it.

Cammie's mom always rolls her eyes at us but does not correct us when we call it a spy school. Cammie's mom is also the school's headmistress. This whole cover ops report was 100% her idea, and it is to summarize what happened last semester. The four of us were a little reluctant, but are still going to write it, or should I say that I am going to write it for the four of us.

I got to the school a whole Week before the new school year started, and no one was around except for the freshmen and my best friend Cammie. Cammie was already unpacked and sitting in her second favorite spot in the suite, the window seat in the living room. The suite had four bedrooms pretty big bedrooms, two bathrooms we shared, a living room, an office of sorts, and a kitchen. Cammie and I share a bathroom and Bex and Elena share the other one.

She turned and started to look in my direction as I quietly closed the door behind me and walked into the kitchen. There were four of us living in the suite. There was me, Cammie, Bex, and Elena. We were the four best friends, been that way since the first day we met.

"Cammie," I said softly as I turned to her
"Yea?" she asked as she put the book in her hand beside her.
"How are the newbies doing?" I asked as I started walking towards her

"Well, one of the new girls got her hair caught on fire by touching the sword of Gillian. (the sword is fake, but it is electrified and conducts enough energy to catch hair on fire) other than that same old, same old, I guess" Cammie said as  I headed to my room to put my trunk on my bed.

"How was your summer?" I asked, anxious to talk about our summers with each other.

"Good" she said. "I spent the summer on my grandparent's farm (though she didn't sound that enthusiastic about it). I did learn how to decapitate a scarecrow with everyday household items. (that can be used as a weapon). and how about you?" She asked only giving a brief answer

"It was good" I said. "I went to China and walked some of the great wall, swam in the ocean, and I went scuba diving, and went sailing,  and I also went whale watching, I spent a whole month there," I said happily about my accomplishments that summer. "I then went to France for a month and took a tour of the Eiffel tower, I also went swimming in the house that we were staying in. I also went to Hawaii and worked with my dad" I said as she knew that I loved spending time with my dad.

I walked to my room, where I put my bag on the bed, before heading to the mess hall. I knew I could unpack later. It took me several minutes to get there. When I did, I walked in and looked around.  I was the only person in the mess hall at the moment. Which was good for me, cause I had the chance to sit down and gather my thoughts together. After I ate a little bit and cleaned up, I got up and wandered around the mansion, looking for any secret passageways. Whenever one of us (me or Cammie) finds one, we tell the other A.S.A.P. (as soon as possible) while we still remember where we found it (it's kinda our thing).

Sometimes I daydream about what it would be like, to go out on an actual cover ops mission. I let my mind wander and picture what I think it would be like when I get to go on my first ops mission. Although my teachers say daydreaming if for normal people.

After a few hours of walking around and no luck, I headed back to my room. It seemed like the best time to unpack everything. I walked back and opened the door to the suite before walking to my room and going inside.     

Back in the room, I sat on my bed writing to my dad and in my journal. I wrote about the first day back at school (not giving too many details about it). for some reason I fell asleep. I didn't finish the letter or my journal entry and I didn't unpack.

The next three days seemed to go by really fast. All I remember about those days are these (don't know if they happened or not). All I remember is a couple of girls running around here and there getting into trouble, I spent some time at the library, and I got all caught up on everything I needed for this year, I also read a couple of books, and sometimes lying around doing nothing. I had fun just doing practically whatever I wanted as long as I was within the boundaries of the school rules.

I spent most of the week in either the teacher's lounge that I got permission to be in or the suite. I did find out some juicy secrets (which I am not at liberty to say what they happen to be at this moment). I also found out that we (as the sophomore class) are getting a new cover ops teacher, I wonder who it will be. I also found out that Mr. Saltzan is coming back as something really really crazy, and I'm so stoked to find out how or what it will look like.

As several days came and went, I found myself alone in my bedroom looking out of my window. I could see row after row after row of limousines pulling up and dropping off students. Since the world thinks this is a school for rich kids or smart special kids and this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for us. It's an easy way for any and all top-secret information to stay top-secret. It's also a good cover as we are just hiding in plain sight. There was a basement in the mansion that freshmen were not allowed in and weren't on the plans.

As the students started coming into the school, the halls started to get really loud. Full of life and laughter. Everyone told each other what they did over the summer, where they went, who they talked to, what they ate, what was there favorite part, and all that. I could tell everyone was excited about this year. Right then I heard Bex ask another student where we (Cammie and I) were. My door was open and so was the door to our suite. She came straight to the room and found me on my bed. She grabbed my arm dragging me into the living room, which was right behind the kitchen. Bex and I saw that Cammie was in her second favorite spot in the suite.

"Cammie, Lizzy" she said. "what are you doing?"
"Being lazy, is that a crime?" I asked looking at her as I sat down.
"Exactly" she said giving me a look for asking my question. "now come over here and give me a hug"

We both got up and walked over to her and gave her a big huge group hug. I got to be honest, that was the nicest hug I had gotten in a very long time.

"How was your summer?" she asked after we released her.

"Mine was good" I said. "I helped my dad with work and visited a couple of countries. I got here like a week ago, and your summer Bex?"  I asked.

"Good, she said I spent the entire summer in Africa, Cario was supper cool, Johannesburg not so much, how was your summer?" she asked Cammie passionately.

Cammie gave a short summary of her summer and what happened without talking about the scarecrow incident as Elena walked in ready to put things away.

I should quickly add one thing, Elena is the quiet one of the four of us.