Chapter Nine

*three years earlier*

Harry's POV

I want to get closer to Athena.

That's all I've been thinking about lately.

We've only known each other for a month, but we are now good friends our everyday studying together in the library after school. I still have no idea what she thinks about me, though.

But I want more than that. More than just friends.

I hate that Athena and I are not in the same class, except for math, since it always kills me when she smiles at or talks to other boys while I'm not there with her.

"What's our lesson for today, Ms. Scott?" I say, looking at her beautiful face. I can stare at it all the time.

"Math," she responds happily. "Math is my favorite."

"Math is my favorite, too."

"Oh is it? That's great."

Math is my favorite because my math class is with you, Miss. I love the class, not the subject.

"So let's get started. Do you know what differential is?"

I tilt my head. "No."

She opens the textbook and shows it to me. "The derivative of a function can often be used to approximate certain function values with a surprising degree of accuracy."

"Okay," I say, still understanding nothing.

She looks me in the eyes. "Harry, you didn't get anything, right?"

You're right, ma'am.

"How did you know?" I ask, acting surprised.

"Your face tells everything." She smirks with those beautiful eyes and when a laugh comes out from her mouth, our time stops. My eyes are locked on her.

Stop looking at me that way, please.

I'm falling.

I'm falling.

I'm falling.

I'm falling.

I'm falling.

I think I'm losing myself.

I'm getting lost.

And will be found by this angel.

I think I'm falling for you, Athena.

I know we just met a month ago but I think I'm already into you.

No, Harry. Now is studying time, focus on your studies.

I push my thoughts and look back at the book.

"If Δx is small, then Δy ≈ f′(x0)Δx. For example, to approximate f(17) for f(x) = Square root of√x, first note that its derivative f′(x) is equal to (x−1/2)/2." She starts to speak.