Chapter Twenty-Two

Athena's POV

I'm in my bed with my phone in my hand, receiving some messages from my father. When I finish reading all of them, I couldn't help smiling. I've got great news from him.

He's remarried. And he's leaving the city for a while to prepare for the new life and the honeymoon.

My father is the only family member that is close to me, so I might feel a little lonely, but I'm so happy for him.

I'm getting out of my bed when my cell phone rings. I open my eyes wider to see who's calling. When I see that it's my mother, I press my face against the couch and fool around with my tears on the pillow.

I bring my phone to my ear. "Hello?"

There are two seconds of silence, but then- "Athena, where have you been for two years!"

I sigh and sit on the couch. Harry happens to walk past me and looks at me like he's wondering why I'm looking despaired. I'm surprised my mother's speaking to me, but I'm much more surprised that's the first sentence she speaks to me after 730 days.

Two years. We haven't spoken for two years.

"How are you?" I ask.

She sighs dramatically. "Answer my question. Where are you now?"

"In my room," I say, trying to sound gentle.

"Where is your room?"

I pause.

"I'm not gonna tell you that, mom. I know you're trying to find me out."

She's quiet for too long, and then she says, "Of course I am. You're my daughter, and you left the house with that shit."

Here she goes again. Talking bad about people who have tattoos. Her bad prejudice against tattoos is extreme.

"Anyway, I need to see you today. Meet me at the coffeehouse, okay?"

I want to reject it, but I know if I do it, it's just going to be a pain in the ass later on.

"Okay," I tell her before I end the call. I toss the phone across the couch and walk to the kitchen to find my roommate.

There he is. I can only see the back of him because he's cooking, but how much of his personality seems to come through. I can feel his happiness and everything that he enjoys cooking.

"Harry," I call him.

He turns his face around and notices me. "Was it okay?" he asks, kneading the bread dough.

"About what?" I play dumb.

He looks like he already knows everything. I think he is trying to tell me that there is no point in playing dumb.

"That call," he says. "That was your mother calling, wasn't it?"

I turn my gaze on him but he is still kneading the bread dough, concentrating on his hand.

Why does this guy guess me right even when he's focusing on other things?

"Um, yeah."

He next takes out a cup and stands in front of the coffee maker. Then hands me the finished coffee. "Thanks," I say.

He then brews his own coffee this time. I'm standing a little far from him, diagonally behind him, sipping my coffee and watching him.

Harry turns his eyes in the direction I am. "Did she ask you to meet her?" he asks like he's reading my mind.

"Yes."

"It's been over two years since you last met her?"

"Yes."