prologue

"fuck."

fuck.

i was fucked.

i felt the rain pick up, drenching my clothes and seeping out through my hair. mud was caked on my hand and knees as i ran. i don't know why i was running. or maybe i did.

i needed to stay far away from there as possible.

but my limbs were sore and the rain was making the mud slick and i couldn't keep running so i just layed on my side, my chest heaving in asphyxiation. my heart was racing and i couldnt breathe and i could feel my head pounding.

"no, no no."

i couldn't lose consciousness now.

though my knees and legs were cut by thorns and mud was all over my body, i couldn't fall asleep now.

i had to stay awake. they were after me. i had no time to explain my side of the story. i wasn't allowed my peace. and so i sprinted away. they were slow to keep up, but surely i would get found eventually.

my vision was beginning to double, and the sky looked as though if it were swirling into a sort of coffee mix. i blinked harshly as fat rain drops hit my eyes.

my hair was probably really gross now too.

i sat up and feel mud fall from my cheek and hair. it was all over me, and under my fingernails. i shivered, the rain beginning to feel colder and colder.

i looked around desperately. i was unsure if i should take the risk of calling for help. after all, they might hear me. and if that were to happen, i'd be in immense danger.

surely someone good had to be nearby?

i'll go for it.

"someone! help!"

my voice sounded weak as it rang through the air. a pain arose in my chest and i deeply sighed.

then i heard footsteps sloshing in the mud and a shadow slowly began to approach me.

"did you need help?" a smooth voice of a man called out.

just from his voice i felt secure and able to be trusted.

he held a large blue umbrella.

"are you able to stand?" he asked.

"n-no.."

he held out his hand and carefully examined me with his eyes. "i've got you."

i tentatively took his hand and allowed myself to stand, legs wobbly.

"oh dear," the man says.

he wraps his other arm around my waist and carries me.

i cling to his kimono, trying not to get mud on it but do anyway. i shut my eyes and try to forget the pain and the embarrassment of another man carrying me.

...

supposedly i had lost consciousness because i woke up on a sofa, that same man sitting at the end where my feet were. i was covered in a warm, soft blanket. i shot up and looked around.

"god i'm so sorry—" i said.

"shh, it's okay. you're all cleaned up now."

i took my blanket off and realized i was in a new set of clothes and all of my wounds were bandaged and had been tended to.

"did you change me?" i asked, trying to hide my embarrassment.

"i did, but i ensure you i didn't look at anything. you were unconscious and you needed serious help."

"thank you.."

"of course. we might as well get to know each other since you're here. my name is ayato— kamisato ayato. what's yours?"

"i'm.. thoma. nothing special."

"well you sure stand out like a dandelion here. i'm assuming you're not a local?"

"no."

"well then, thoma, it's very nice to meet you and i welcome you personally to inazuma. do you have anywhere to go? like a home..."

"no, i kind of.. came here by illegal means. i was being chased and threatened to be put in jail so i was running and got kind of scraped up along the way."

ayato looks at me quizzically. "so you're in fact a criminal?"

i sigh and hold out my hands. "listen, i was trying to escape my homeland. some monster destroyed everything, houses were on fire, wreckage was caused, and most fleed elsewhere, but my parents took me on a boat to inazuma. our ship unfortunately got striked by lightning on the way here and it sunk. i was the only survivor, and i was determined to find somewhere, so i was able to swim the rest of the way and i washed up in ritou, but i was so sore and passed out. next minute i woke up and i was being questioned by these men, calling me an outlander and a criminal. when i tried to explain how i got here, they refused to listen and demanded money and threatened to arrest me, so out of fear i ran and now here i am."

"that is.. quite a lot indeed. no worries thoma, we'll take care of you here. you're no criminal in my mind."

"th—thank you, ayato."

"the pleasure is mine."