chapter 4

another week has since passed.

snow fall was expected today and possibly tomorrow, but we hadn't seen any yet. however, it was only noon so there was still definitely a chance.

we had started off the day with some warm miso soup, and duties for ayato were cancelled today since the snow was expected. ayaka had fallen ill so she was resting in her room most of the time. occasionally, yoimiya had came over to check on her. she would bring sweets and different snacks and it'd leave me feeling bad for accepting them, even though she had offered.

"when do you think it's gonna start snowing?" ayato asks.

"i'm not even sure if it will snow at all to be honest."

"well, it's already somewhat chilly outside. it shouldn't be too long. i just don't think it will be a lot."

i continue scrubbing through different plates and bowls.

"c'mon thoma why don't you take a break? washing dishes is tiring."

"alright."

i walk over to the couch and take a seat next to ayato.

"so i got this game that i think is able tp be hooked up to the television. it's also multi-player too, so do you want to race with me?"

"what game?"

"uhh, it's called mario kart. a classic for rich people apparently."

"wow."

and so the two of us played mario kart for what felt like hours. he was strangely already good at video games, and i had not a clue what was going on most of the time. i was mostly slipping on banana peels or getting hit by different colored turtle shells. i was still new to the game, but it was a fun experience for me regardless.

"wait."

i pause. ayato had set down his controller and was staring out the window. i move over closer to him and angle my head so that i can properly view the window too.

"oh my god."

it was real snow, real snow outside. it had been such a long time since it had snowed in inazuma, and even a while since i had seen snow myself.

ayato turns and smiles at me. "do you know what this means?"

"i'm afraid i do not."

"we're going to have a snowball fight."

"you don't think we're a bit too old to be doing that?"

"nobody is ever too old for a snowball fight, thoma."

"gotcha."

"unfortunately not enough snow has fallen yet for one, but certainly there will be enough by tomorrow. i still want to go outside though."

i nodded and the both of us quickly went to our rooms to change. i didnt need to put on anything heavy since it wasn't super cold. ayato came out after a while and was wearing a really comfortable looking sweater. it kind of made me want to hug him.

he grabbed my hand and hurriedly ran outside as if the snow was going to disappear in a matter of seconds. we looked up and watched as the snowflakes fell. ayato even stuck out his tounge, trying to get one of them to land on it.

"ayato, you're not a kid."

"cry about it."

"your hand is freezing cold already."

the both of us hear a knock on a window and turn around and see ayaka in her room. she signals for us to walk over to her. ayato and i both walk over to her window and she slowly opens it up.